Pedro Martinez could soon announce retirement

May 1, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT

Pedro Martinez

While reports last month indicated that he was interested to returning to the majors, perhaps with the Red Sox, Pedro Martinez said Sunday that he is leaning towards retirement.

“I keep active because I have not announced my retirement, because that is something that takes time and you have to plan it. Plus, it is something that the Dominican people expected,” Martinez said in an interview in his native Dominican Republic.

Martinez added that his comments last month about potentially pitching for the Red Sox this year were taken out of context.

“I did not mean I’m going to Boston,” he said.

Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, last pitched with the Phillies in 2009.  The future Hall of Famer is 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA in 18-big league seasons.

1. aceshigh11 - May 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Pedro…you were THE MAN, but it’s time to throw the damned towel (to paraphrase Duke from Rocky IV).

Enjoy retirement…you’ve earned it.

2. jwbiii - May 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I am too young to have seen Koufax, but I think I have the general idea.

• pisano - May 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM

That’s good thinking Peedro (retirement) seeing that no one wants your worn out ass.

3. cur68 - May 2, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Another former Expo (likely) retires.

How many left now? Lets see, either drafted or at least played a game for Montreal there’s;
    Brian Schneider, Fernando Tatis, Brandon Phillips, Orlando Cabrera, Geoff Blum, Jamey Carroll, Nick Johnson, Milton Bradley, Jason Bay, Juan Rivera, Matt Stairs, Ryan Church, Grady Sizemore, Vladimir Guerrero, Cliff Lee, Javier Vazquez, Carl Pavano, Ted Lilly, Livan Hernandez, Miguel Batista, Jake Westbrook, Guillermo Mota, & Jon Rauch.

Probably Matt Stairs is next.

As for Pedro, well he should hang them up, I think, and have a happy retirement rather than try to come back and play as a shadow of himself.

4. nyyankeefanforever - May 2, 2011 at 3:34 AM

The same guy who declared: “”Wake up the Bambino, I’ll drill him in the ass” to suck up to his adopted Philly faithful and “What can I say? I tip my hat and call the Yankees my daddy” when he smelled the end was near in Boston and hoped to curry favor from the Boss ahead of impending free agency has finally blown out his final birthday candle with his pathetic wish to retire back in Boston.

Not offically yet, of course. Like everything else guys like him (and Manny and others of his ilk) do, he is spinning abject rejection into a sham retirement hoping someone doesnt notice his tattered ignoble ending. He was really good, but never quite as good as he believed he was. Don’t let the screen door hit ya Petey.

• pisano - May 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Great post, but let me add, Hall of Fame my ass. If he goes to the HOF it’ll be a joke.

5. Joe - May 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Wow, Yankee fans don’t like Pedro.

6. schrutebeetfarms - May 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Future Hall of Famer? I think we could perhaps have some debate on the issue but to assume he’s getting in without a doubt I’m not sure about.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey