May 1, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
The return of Victor Martinez is coming fast.
According to Steve Kornacki of MLive.com, the slugger will head out to Triple-A Toledo this week for a two-game minor league rehab assignment. If everything goes according to plan, he will be back in a Tigers uniform on Wednesday.
Martinez did blocking drills Saturday and was cleared by team trainers for the rehab assignment after showing good agility and lateral movement.
V-Mart has been sidelined since April 18, when he strained his right groin muscle on a check swing in Seattle. He was batting .250/.292/.417 with two home runs and nine RBI through 16 games this season, serving mainly as the Tigers’ designated hitter.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 28
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)