May 1, 2011, 12:58 PM EST
The return of Victor Martinez is coming fast.
According to Steve Kornacki of MLive.com, the slugger will head out to Triple-A Toledo this week for a two-game minor league rehab assignment. If everything goes according to plan, he will be back in a Tigers uniform on Wednesday.
Martinez did blocking drills Saturday and was cleared by team trainers for the rehab assignment after showing good agility and lateral movement.
V-Mart has been sidelined since April 18, when he strained his right groin muscle on a check swing in Seattle. He was batting .250/.292/.417 with two home runs and nine RBI through 16 games this season, serving mainly as the Tigers’ designated hitter.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 17
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)