May 1, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
The return of Victor Martinez is coming fast.
According to Steve Kornacki of MLive.com, the slugger will head out to Triple-A Toledo this week for a two-game minor league rehab assignment. If everything goes according to plan, he will be back in a Tigers uniform on Wednesday.
Martinez did blocking drills Saturday and was cleared by team trainers for the rehab assignment after showing good agility and lateral movement.
V-Mart has been sidelined since April 18, when he strained his right groin muscle on a check swing in Seattle. He was batting .250/.292/.417 with two home runs and nine RBI through 16 games this season, serving mainly as the Tigers’ designated hitter.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17