May 1, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
The return of Victor Martinez is coming fast.
According to Steve Kornacki of MLive.com, the slugger will head out to Triple-A Toledo this week for a two-game minor league rehab assignment. If everything goes according to plan, he will be back in a Tigers uniform on Wednesday.
Martinez did blocking drills Saturday and was cleared by team trainers for the rehab assignment after showing good agility and lateral movement.
V-Mart has been sidelined since April 18, when he strained his right groin muscle on a check swing in Seattle. He was batting .250/.292/.417 with two home runs and nine RBI through 16 games this season, serving mainly as the Tigers’ designated hitter.
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 9
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 345
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (345)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (171)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)