May 2, 2011, 6:45 PM EST
In his first action since going down with a strained left oblique, Angel Pagan went 1-for-4 with a walk while playing five innings in an extended spring training game Monday.
Obliques strains tend to require at least three weeks on the DL, but Pagan appears to be aiming to make it back in the minimum 15 days. He’s eligible to be activated on Saturday.
With Pagan sidelined, the Mets have been using Jason Pridie in center field, and the 27-year-old Triple-A veteran has been surprisingly successful, going 7-for-25 with two homers and five RBI in seven games. It could present the Mets with a bit of dilemma when Pagan is activated. Neither Scott Hairston nor Willie Harris has been productive in a reserve role, but both are established veterans and it’s doubtful either is interested in accepting a minor league assignment. The Mets won’t keep all three, so unless he really tears it up the next few days, Pridie is probably going to end up back in Triple-A.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)