May 2, 2011, 6:45 PM EDT
In his first action since going down with a strained left oblique, Angel Pagan went 1-for-4 with a walk while playing five innings in an extended spring training game Monday.
Obliques strains tend to require at least three weeks on the DL, but Pagan appears to be aiming to make it back in the minimum 15 days. He’s eligible to be activated on Saturday.
With Pagan sidelined, the Mets have been using Jason Pridie in center field, and the 27-year-old Triple-A veteran has been surprisingly successful, going 7-for-25 with two homers and five RBI in seven games. It could present the Mets with a bit of dilemma when Pagan is activated. Neither Scott Hairston nor Willie Harris has been productive in a reserve role, but both are established veterans and it’s doubtful either is interested in accepting a minor league assignment. The Mets won’t keep all three, so unless he really tears it up the next few days, Pridie is probably going to end up back in Triple-A.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 95
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (148)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)