May 2, 2011, 6:45 PM EST
In his first action since going down with a strained left oblique, Angel Pagan went 1-for-4 with a walk while playing five innings in an extended spring training game Monday.
Obliques strains tend to require at least three weeks on the DL, but Pagan appears to be aiming to make it back in the minimum 15 days. He’s eligible to be activated on Saturday.
With Pagan sidelined, the Mets have been using Jason Pridie in center field, and the 27-year-old Triple-A veteran has been surprisingly successful, going 7-for-25 with two homers and five RBI in seven games. It could present the Mets with a bit of dilemma when Pagan is activated. Neither Scott Hairston nor Willie Harris has been productive in a reserve role, but both are established veterans and it’s doubtful either is interested in accepting a minor league assignment. The Mets won’t keep all three, so unless he really tears it up the next few days, Pridie is probably going to end up back in Triple-A.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 44
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)