Curt Schilling and Mariano Rivera each opine on bin Laden. Guess which one was sensible.

May 2, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT

Schilling

Ultimately what baseball players think about the major issues of the day that aren’t baseball-related is rather unimportant, but I found this distinction to be 100% unsurprising.

Here’s Mariano Rivera when asked about the death of Osama bin Laden by Ben Shpigel:

“You do something like that, somewhere along the way you’re going to pay. This was the time.”

Makes sense. A sober opinion from a man who always seems like he thinks about stuff before he speaks and who doesn’t try to make himself out to be an authority on everything. In contrast, here’s Curt Schilling:

“ARRGAALBBBRGLEBLAHBLAHBARKBARKBARKBARK.”

That may not have been an exact quote, but it’s close. His entire comments, along with audio/video are here.

Upshot: He decided to take this fairly momentous news and search for an angle to it which he figured would make him sound like some sage, provocative straight-shooter and which would provide him with a few moments of media spotlight.

Shocking, I know.

139 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. havlicekstoletheball - May 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM

cur68,

I also work in health care. Trying the grand experiment with 310 million people is going to be a disaster. My prediction is we will lose 3-4 of the 15 hospitals in my state. Perhaps more, especially without tort reform.

• cur68 - May 2, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I’m hardly an expert on American Health Care. The Canadian system (which I can speak for) isn’t perfect. Far from it. It relies heavily on taxation, is constantly overwhelmed, and experiences long delays in treatment. I do believe though that our system was noted by some important studies to be cheaper than your current system;

Ref; http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/46/33/38979719.pdf

and; http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RL34175_20070917.pdf

and outcome was better;
      Ref: http://www.openmedicine.ca/article/view/8/1

and;
      Kaul P, Armstrong PW, Chang WC, et al. (September 2004). “Long-term mortality of patients with acute myocardial infarction in the United States and Canada: comparison of patients enrolled in Global Utilization of Streptokinase and t-PA for Occluded Coronary Arteries (GUSTO)-I”. Circulation 110 (13): 1754–60.

I do believe (an opinion, not an assertion of fact) that your current troubles have everything to do with your economic woes form the banking/mortgage crisis not from trying to switch to socialized style medicine, though I could be wrong.

Bottom line; our version appears to be cheaper and produces better outcomes. Some of that probably relies on your system being present to absorb those who can afford to get out of our lines and enter your hospitals. We seem to need each other. Ironic, eh?

• JBerardi - May 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Tort reform? You are really scraping the bottom of the talking points barrel, buddy. Let me guess: you’re a big fan of anything involving the word “vouchers”?

• Utley's Hair - May 3, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Glenn Beck is looking for his next job, and thought he might stop here for a look-see.

• Dug - May 2, 2011 at 11:58 PM

And there it is, havlichekstoletheball, hates blacks AND lawyers. He works in health care. My guess changing bed pans.

Craig, you never had a chance. ROFLMMFingAO

Moron.

• cur68 - May 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Well if he hates blacks then he’s in for a bit of a shock talking to me all polite like (though I didn’t actually get that from his various comments). But then, I am a foreigner and might not be as tuned to the birther agenda = racist. I suppose this explains his inexplicable tenacity with this ‘foreign born’ argument. Just doesn’t like having a black president. How sad.

Once again; I’m really grateful for everyone else (with one or two notable exceptions. You know who you are).

• Utley's Hair - May 3, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Um…pie eaters?

• cur68 - May 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Especially the pie eaters. Misguided loons that they be. And deviant too. I hear they’ve been engaging in unclean behavior with those pies. Sickos.

• Jonny 5 - May 3, 2011 at 9:39 AM

CUR!! You have more melanin than I? Disgraceful!! Actually I’m just looking for more reasons to be devisive over you illusion that cake is better than Pie…… I’m a bad man discriminating about food. Maybe we could just get along? I have a lemon pie for a snack today btw….. mmmm

• ngearhart1981 - May 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM

“I also work in health care.”
      Waaaaait a minute! You mean you DON’T work in politics?! How come Craig doesn’t get to talk politics (since he’s a baseball writer) but you do? Craig I demand that you tell this guy to “stick to health care”.

2. Dug - May 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Craig,

Awesome thread. Most entertaining of the week.

Thanks,

Dug

3. kiwicricket - May 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM

After several weeks spent negotiating the Nullabor plain….it’s good to see HBT has not changed one bit. What’s next guys? Respective ‘political’ uniforms? Soiling one another’s front yards then blaming the neighbour’s dog? Schilling would not even exist is he wasn’t good at throwing a small white ball. Please calm down. Just my opinion.

• cur68 - May 3, 2011 at 12:16 AM

The Nullarbor, eh? On the Ghan or by ute?

• kiwicricket - May 3, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Haha, it was actually in a 1989 Toyota corolla hatch which was used by the winery I worked for to chase ‘flocks’ of ‘roos’ away from the grapes. Basically followed the southern coast the entire continent, catching my dinner in the ocean most days. Recommend it to anyone on the planet.

• cur68 - May 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM

You are a brave dude. I went from Melbourne to Alice Springs and back in a Pajero. We nearly died in some really novel ways; we hit an emu carcass, nearly a cow carcass, nearly hit a big red roo in the middle of the effing road, did hit a wedge tailed eagle that was trying to get airborne off of a dead roo and, of course, blown off the highway by a road train bombing past us. I cannot imagine doing anything like that in a hatchback. Takes seriously big balls. Jonah Lomu is that you?

• kiwicricket - May 3, 2011 at 2:28 AM

No idea as to the actual size of Mr Lomu’s balls, but I assure you I am quite regular. In fact I was too afraid to venture too far inland as that is where the real wild things live! Stuck to perfect white sand beaches and national parks. Although the odd Camel did cause alarm. Glad to hear your story.

4. bigharold - May 3, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Man, I take a few days off and the oatmeal hits the fan.

Craig, how about we go easy the next few days and tone things down. Maybe you could start another Pete Rose thread?

5. BC - May 3, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Schilling <—— Un Chipwich Mal Grande

6. Jonny 5 - May 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I went back and read, things………………….. I am now pretty sure that i should not have done so. I am also pretty sure that I have probably caused parts of my brain to shut down permanently and am now much dumber than I ever was, before I read all of that rubbish. What is wrong with people?

• cur68 - May 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, it can sure seem like there are a lot of nuts out there. But, when I went back and looked it over, it was really only 2 guys. Hell even dirtyharry came out not too bad. I found it really nice that it was so few crazy people and one of them even seem to come around to a more reasoned stance in the end. Still can’t spell ‘biceps” though.

As for your brain; its mushy because of the pie eating and the unholy congress you insist on having with pie. Have some cake. You’ll be instantly smarter.

• Jonny 5 - May 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Just because I have a “thing” with pie, doesn’t mean that it’s unholy… Ugghhh you are such a cake supremacist!!!

• Jonny 5 - May 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM

CUR,Your cake talk broke my train of thought there.. But why can’t people just say they don’t agree and give their reasons why, without getting all nasty and crazy about it and stuff? Someone who can’t spell biceps should never try to argue with Craig because even if he’s correct Craig could have him thinking he’s wrong in about 5 minutes if he chose to have it that way. I’ve “not agreed” with Craig before, stated it, and he never had to come back to defend himself. That’s how it should be. There are things I’m very passionate about, people don’t agree with it, but we still stay civil, you cake eating SOB you..

• cur68 - May 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Now that’s the pie talking there, Jonny. Us cake supremacists are bulletproof, too. ‘Cause cake is magic.

I don’t get it either. It amazes me to this day that people take their perceptions as though they are incontrovertible fact and being wrong as some sort of trenchant criticism. You’d think their whole life was tied up in these comments or something.

It kills me when people come on here spouting like they are the sage of all knowingness and, when no one agrees with them, they get all mad about it. Most of the stuff on a baseball blog isn’t really that important and stuff Curt Schilling says even less so. I don’t see what’s to get all worked up about. You are right; if you don’t agree with what Craig writes, just say so, and leave it at that. I wish these guys would keep their nasty narrow minded opinions and crackpot political theories to themselves. If they don’t then they shouldn’t get all offended when no one likes what they have to say. The loonies seem to think they speak for everyone for some reason.

7. raysfan1 - May 4, 2011 at 1:24 AM

OK, the site now appears safe from drooling knuckle draggers…
    “ARRGAALBBBRGLEBLAHBLAHBARKBARKBARKBARK.”
    is definitely the quote of the day. It’s been 24 hours and I’m still laughing.
    Seems Curt now sounds like the Swedish Chef. Looks a little like him too:

8. jimeejohnson - May 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Curt Shilling is another useful idiot for the rich and powerful. Republicans are evil treasonous criminals. There is no such thing as a good republican. They have all sold their souls to the devil. They have no love for our country. All they do is lust for power and money. These Conservative wackos are bent on banning abortion, taking away union rights and transforming Medicare, education, parks and libraries into for-profit rip-offs. The GOP is entirely hopeless and owned by the monied elite. Shills, like Shilling, and useful idiots serve their interests.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3990)