May 2, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
According to Mozeliak he’s unlikely to return until late July, which is a big blow to a Cardinals roster already decimated by injuries.
Freese was off to a strong start, hitting .356 with an .865 OPS in 25 games after putting up solid numbers as a rookie last season, and the Cardinals’ options to replace him at third base aren’t very appealing.
Daniel Descalso is getting the start there tonight, Nick Punto and Tyler Greene are light-hitting options, and Allen Craig has some third base experience in the minors if the Cardinals want to sacrifice defense to get his bat in the lineup. Albert Pujols played 1.1 innings at third base yesterday in an emergency situation, but don’t expect to see him back at the hot corner.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)