May 2, 2011, 9:11 AM EST
I missed two interesting Frank McCourt stories over the weekend, both via Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times, and neither of which makes McCourt look very good.
First, there is the report that one of the reasons Commissioner Selig has not approved the Fox contract McCourt is so hot for is that Jamie McCourt has not signed off on it. The idea is that, while Jamie doesn’t have operational control of the team, she does have an ownership interest and she thinks that the Fox deal would devalue that. This suggests that the idea that she simply wants cashed out of the Dodgers as fast as possible — or that McCourt could even do that if he wanted to — is not a safe assumption. It’s also further evidence that the Fox deal is not as good as Frank says it is, because you have to think that Jamie has advisors looking at it too.
Second, Shaikin had a sit-down interview with McCourt, and McCourt did not exactly make a good impression when asked about how his personal issues and financial irresponsibility have impacted the team:
Q: Could you explain to Dodgers fans why you believe you are the best person to own this team?
A: First of all, I want to apologize to the fans. I want to tell them how deeply sorry I am for what has occurred over the last 18 months. I’m sorry that my personal mess has entered their lives and affected their experience being a fan of the Dodgers.
I’m sorry that some of them think that lifestyle decisions I made affected my commitment to putting a winner on the field and winning a championship for L.A.
Q: Are you saying that is simply the fans’ perception, or did those decisions affect the team?
A: I’m saying it’s clearly the perception of some.
Q: So you would not agree with that perception?
A: What matters is that is the perception. I’m sorry that is their perception. I’m sorry that they don’t think I’m committed to them. I’m sorry that my situation has been a source of embarrassment for the community, an embarrassment for the team and an embarrassment for the fans.
See: you just don’t understand, Dodgers fans, and Frank McCourt is deeply sorry that you don’t understand.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)