May 2, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
Things you missed while spending the weekend in New York and visiting the coolest baseball bar ever, not once, but twice. And, while there, taking pictures of interesting things in the men’s room. Yes, I realize it’s not 100% cool to whip out the camera in the bathroom. But in my defense, there aren’t many places where Don Zimmer watches you pee, and that sort of thing needs to be recorded for posterity:
- Roger McDowell gets suspended and fined by Major League Baseball. He should consider himself lucky. Even if you think, for some reason, that his words weren’t homophobic and hateful, the mere fact that he was hostile with a paying customer of Major League Baseball could have been enough to get him fired.
- Frank McCourt meets his new boss.
- Carlos Santana ends a game like a boss.
- Tough break for Pablo Sandoval. For Ryan Zimmerman too.
- For years Skip Caray used to go on about how great a golfer John Smoltz was, saying that he wouldn’t be surprised to see him try to go pro one day or something. That ain’t anywhere close to happening.
- Andre Ethier keeps his hitting streak alive. And he added one more yesterday, putting it at 27.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Kevin Millwood.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Pedro Martinez.
- David Freese will be gone for a while too, albeit for different reasons. Same with Carlos Lee.
One more programming note: I realize I punted the recaps in And That Happened this morning, but I have to punt the Power Rankings today too. Contrary to the rather slapdash nature of their appearance, I do put some real time into the Power Rankings. I usually put the bulk of that together on Sunday, and wasn’t able to do so yesterday due to my schedule. I will do my best to get them up tomorrow, but don’t sue me if we end up just giving it a miss this week.
And now, back to our usually-scheduled nonsense.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)