May 2, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
Things you missed while spending the weekend in New York and visiting the coolest baseball bar ever, not once, but twice. And, while there, taking pictures of interesting things in the men’s room. Yes, I realize it’s not 100% cool to whip out the camera in the bathroom. But in my defense, there aren’t many places where Don Zimmer watches you pee, and that sort of thing needs to be recorded for posterity:
- Roger McDowell gets suspended and fined by Major League Baseball. He should consider himself lucky. Even if you think, for some reason, that his words weren’t homophobic and hateful, the mere fact that he was hostile with a paying customer of Major League Baseball could have been enough to get him fired.
- Frank McCourt meets his new boss.
- Carlos Santana ends a game like a boss.
- Tough break for Pablo Sandoval. For Ryan Zimmerman too.
- For years Skip Caray used to go on about how great a golfer John Smoltz was, saying that he wouldn’t be surprised to see him try to go pro one day or something. That ain’t anywhere close to happening.
- Andre Ethier keeps his hitting streak alive. And he added one more yesterday, putting it at 27.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Kevin Millwood.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Pedro Martinez.
- David Freese will be gone for a while too, albeit for different reasons. Same with Carlos Lee.
One more programming note: I realize I punted the recaps in And That Happened this morning, but I have to punt the Power Rankings today too. Contrary to the rather slapdash nature of their appearance, I do put some real time into the Power Rankings. I usually put the bulk of that together on Sunday, and wasn’t able to do so yesterday due to my schedule. I will do my best to get them up tomorrow, but don’t sue me if we end up just giving it a miss this week.
And now, back to our usually-scheduled nonsense.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (95)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)