May 2, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
Things you missed while spending the weekend in New York and visiting the coolest baseball bar ever, not once, but twice. And, while there, taking pictures of interesting things in the men’s room. Yes, I realize it’s not 100% cool to whip out the camera in the bathroom. But in my defense, there aren’t many places where Don Zimmer watches you pee, and that sort of thing needs to be recorded for posterity:
- Roger McDowell gets suspended and fined by Major League Baseball. He should consider himself lucky. Even if you think, for some reason, that his words weren’t homophobic and hateful, the mere fact that he was hostile with a paying customer of Major League Baseball could have been enough to get him fired.
- Frank McCourt meets his new boss.
- Carlos Santana ends a game like a boss.
- Tough break for Pablo Sandoval. For Ryan Zimmerman too.
- For years Skip Caray used to go on about how great a golfer John Smoltz was, saying that he wouldn’t be surprised to see him try to go pro one day or something. That ain’t anywhere close to happening.
- Andre Ethier keeps his hitting streak alive. And he added one more yesterday, putting it at 27.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Kevin Millwood.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Pedro Martinez.
- David Freese will be gone for a while too, albeit for different reasons. Same with Carlos Lee.
One more programming note: I realize I punted the recaps in And That Happened this morning, but I have to punt the Power Rankings today too. Contrary to the rather slapdash nature of their appearance, I do put some real time into the Power Rankings. I usually put the bulk of that together on Sunday, and wasn’t able to do so yesterday due to my schedule. I will do my best to get them up tomorrow, but don’t sue me if we end up just giving it a miss this week.
And now, back to our usually-scheduled nonsense.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)