May 2, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
Things you missed while spending the weekend in New York and visiting the coolest baseball bar ever, not once, but twice. And, while there, taking pictures of interesting things in the men’s room. Yes, I realize it’s not 100% cool to whip out the camera in the bathroom. But in my defense, there aren’t many places where Don Zimmer watches you pee, and that sort of thing needs to be recorded for posterity:
- Roger McDowell gets suspended and fined by Major League Baseball. He should consider himself lucky. Even if you think, for some reason, that his words weren’t homophobic and hateful, the mere fact that he was hostile with a paying customer of Major League Baseball could have been enough to get him fired.
- Frank McCourt meets his new boss.
- Carlos Santana ends a game like a boss.
- Tough break for Pablo Sandoval. For Ryan Zimmerman too.
- For years Skip Caray used to go on about how great a golfer John Smoltz was, saying that he wouldn’t be surprised to see him try to go pro one day or something. That ain’t anywhere close to happening.
- Andre Ethier keeps his hitting streak alive. And he added one more yesterday, putting it at 27.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Kevin Millwood.
- We’ve probably seen the last of Pedro Martinez.
- David Freese will be gone for a while too, albeit for different reasons. Same with Carlos Lee.
One more programming note: I realize I punted the recaps in And That Happened this morning, but I have to punt the Power Rankings today too. Contrary to the rather slapdash nature of their appearance, I do put some real time into the Power Rankings. I usually put the bulk of that together on Sunday, and wasn’t able to do so yesterday due to my schedule. I will do my best to get them up tomorrow, but don’t sue me if we end up just giving it a miss this week.
And now, back to our usually-scheduled nonsense.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 57
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 24
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 28
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (98)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)