May 2, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
This is a coincidence — the event was already planned — but the tonight is Military Appreciation Night at Nationals Park. For the occasion, military personnel, be they active or retired, with a valid military ID can receive up to four free tickets to the game. All you need to do is to go to the First Street will call window.
A couple of hours ago Nats’ reliever Drew Storen tweeted “I expect some epic U-S-A chants tonight at Military Appreciation night at Nats Park.” There has been increasing buzz all day about how the game may serve as a bit of a defacto bin Laden celebration rally of some sort.
I hope that chanting doesn’t become a thing. It was cool in Philly last night because it was spontaneous and emotional. But we had so much orchestrated patriotism in the wake of 9/11. In some ways, it caused us to lose the thread of what was really going on and substitute real feeling and reflection for something that seemed rote at best and manipulative at worst.
I hope that doesn’t happen again.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 73
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)