May 2, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
This is a coincidence — the event was already planned — but the tonight is Military Appreciation Night at Nationals Park. For the occasion, military personnel, be they active or retired, with a valid military ID can receive up to four free tickets to the game. All you need to do is to go to the First Street will call window.
A couple of hours ago Nats’ reliever Drew Storen tweeted “I expect some epic U-S-A chants tonight at Military Appreciation night at Nats Park.” There has been increasing buzz all day about how the game may serve as a bit of a defacto bin Laden celebration rally of some sort.
I hope that chanting doesn’t become a thing. It was cool in Philly last night because it was spontaneous and emotional. But we had so much orchestrated patriotism in the wake of 9/11. In some ways, it caused us to lose the thread of what was really going on and substitute real feeling and reflection for something that seemed rote at best and manipulative at worst.
I hope that doesn’t happen again.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)