May 2, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
This is a coincidence — the event was already planned — but the tonight is Military Appreciation Night at Nationals Park. For the occasion, military personnel, be they active or retired, with a valid military ID can receive up to four free tickets to the game. All you need to do is to go to the First Street will call window.
A couple of hours ago Nats’ reliever Drew Storen tweeted “I expect some epic U-S-A chants tonight at Military Appreciation night at Nats Park.” There has been increasing buzz all day about how the game may serve as a bit of a defacto bin Laden celebration rally of some sort.
I hope that chanting doesn’t become a thing. It was cool in Philly last night because it was spontaneous and emotional. But we had so much orchestrated patriotism in the wake of 9/11. In some ways, it caused us to lose the thread of what was really going on and substitute real feeling and reflection for something that seemed rote at best and manipulative at worst.
I hope that doesn’t happen again.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)