May 2, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia was off to a good start at Triple-A, but the 21-year-old top prospect is in danger of missing the rest of the season after the Mets announced today that he has a completely torn MCL in his right elbow.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Mejia will seek a second opinion before determining a course of action, but surgery sounds likely and even if he somehow avoids going under the knife significant time on the sidelines is guaranteed.
It’s a tough break for Mejia, who was working his way back to the majors as a starting pitcher after the previous Mets braintrust misguidedly rushed him into the big-league bullpen at age 20.
Baseball America ranked Mejia as the 44th-best prospect in MLB heading into the season and he was 56th on the same list last year.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)