May 2, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia was off to a good start at Triple-A, but the 21-year-old top prospect is in danger of missing the rest of the season after the Mets announced today that he has a completely torn MCL in his right elbow.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Mejia will seek a second opinion before determining a course of action, but surgery sounds likely and even if he somehow avoids going under the knife significant time on the sidelines is guaranteed.
It’s a tough break for Mejia, who was working his way back to the majors as a starting pitcher after the previous Mets braintrust misguidedly rushed him into the big-league bullpen at age 20.
Baseball America ranked Mejia as the 44th-best prospect in MLB heading into the season and he was 56th on the same list last year.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)