May 2, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
I love Twitter. Before it was invented, you’d have to be friends with a baseball player in order to have him tell you that he’s having surgery tomorrow. As was reported over the weekend, Sandoval likely faces 4 to 6 weeks of recovery time. If that schedule holds, it means he’ll be back the first or second week of June.
The question is what the Giants will do for offense in the meantime. Sandoval had .313/.374/.530 batting line and had hit five home runs. That’s far and away the best on the Giants so far this year. A Giants team that is already 14th in the National League in runs per game and which sits four and a half games out of first place.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)