May 2, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
I love Twitter. Before it was invented, you’d have to be friends with a baseball player in order to have him tell you that he’s having surgery tomorrow. As was reported over the weekend, Sandoval likely faces 4 to 6 weeks of recovery time. If that schedule holds, it means he’ll be back the first or second week of June.
The question is what the Giants will do for offense in the meantime. Sandoval had .313/.374/.530 batting line and had hit five home runs. That’s far and away the best on the Giants so far this year. A Giants team that is already 14th in the National League in runs per game and which sits four and a half games out of first place.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 32
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)