May 2, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
With an Opening Day payroll of just $45 million the Padres rank 27th in player spending, but chief executive officer Jeff Moorad said yesterday that the team is negotiating a new local television contract that could increase the payroll by 10-20 percent as soon as 2012.
Cox Communications’ current 10-year deal to broadcast Padres games expires after this season and Moorad told Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune that “there are several active discussions going on at the moment.”
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)