May 2, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
With an Opening Day payroll of just $45 million the Padres rank 27th in player spending, but chief executive officer Jeff Moorad said yesterday that the team is negotiating a new local television contract that could increase the payroll by 10-20 percent as soon as 2012.
Cox Communications’ current 10-year deal to broadcast Padres games expires after this season and Moorad told Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune that “there are several active discussions going on at the moment.”
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)