May 2, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
This is really a good news, bad news situation. It’s good in that the Yankees have eliminated one potentially serious possibility, but they’re still searching for answers regarding Hughes’ “dead arm” and diminished velocity.
Hughes posted a 13.94 ERA over his first three starts before being placed on the disabled list on April 15. He averaged just 89.2 mph on his fastball compared to 92.6 mph last season. Hughes attempted to throw last Monday, but was sent for testing after the session did not go well. The mystery continues.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)