May 2, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
This is really a good news, bad news situation. It’s good in that the Yankees have eliminated one potentially serious possibility, but they’re still searching for answers regarding Hughes’ “dead arm” and diminished velocity.
Hughes posted a 13.94 ERA over his first three starts before being placed on the disabled list on April 15. He averaged just 89.2 mph on his fastball compared to 92.6 mph last season. Hughes attempted to throw last Monday, but was sent for testing after the session did not go well. The mystery continues.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (137)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)