Phillies activate Domonic Brown from DL, send him to Triple-A

May 2, 2011, 11:46 AM EST

Domonic Brown swinging

Rather than keep him on a minor-league rehab assignment for his fractured hamate bone, the Phillies activated Domonic Brown from the disabled list yesterday and then optioned him to Triple-A.

That means he’ll continue to play in the minors, but will do so as a Triple-A player rather than a rehabbing big leaguer.

While perhaps not the most important distinction, the Phillies could have allowed him to rehab for another couple weeks and choosing to simply assign him to Triple-A instead stops him from accumulating MLB service time and suggests they aren’t planning to call him up to the majors any time soon.

Or as general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:

I’m not going to bring Domonic Brown up just to bring Domonic Brown. We’re going to bring Domonic Brown up when he’s ready to play in the big leagues and he’s ready to contribute.

Brown is among the elite prospects in baseball and absolutely destroyed Double-A and Triple-A pitching last season at age 22, but he struggled in sporadic action with the Phillies down the stretch and right now Ben Francisco is doing a solid job as the everyday right fielder

1. BC - May 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Leave him down there a while. If Ibanez tanks in the second half or there’s an injury, go get him. Otherwise, bring him up on August 31 and have him available for the playoffs.

• sjhaack - May 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

“If Ibanez tanks in the second half”

Do you mean even worse than this first month? I’m perfectly fine with Dom going to AAA to get his swing back. Hopefully he’ll be back up with the Phillies before June and they can run a 3-man rotation of Brown/Francisco/Mayberry in the corners.

• gammagammahey - May 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Ibanez is a notoriously streaky player. This year, he just happens to be having one of his bad streaks at the beginning of the year instead of in the middle of it. He’ll probably normalize to somewhere a little short of his performance from last year.

• revooc48 - May 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

If only we still had the first half of 2009 version of ibanez when he was doing so good that people had to accuse him of taking steroids

2. Reflex - May 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

From one of the owners in the dynasty league I run:

Being in Florida I try to take in some games and scout young players for myself. Tonight was Domonic Brown who I was lucky enough to get last year. The ball comes off his bat so much different than most, I think big things are in his future. I also got an autographed bat from him when I showed him he was on my fantasy team :o)

Classy guy. Everyone in the league is jealous.

3. dcburden - May 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Anyone an expert on service time? My impression was that it accumulates while on the Major League DL. That would seem like sufficient motivation to make this move.

• bigphilippe - May 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I believe it’s simply to get him playing everyday. The Phillies aren’t super confident about his defense (bad reads on balls, bad route-taking, etc), and wanted him to play everyday so he could get more practice in the field. However, he cut his Winter Ball time short and then broke his hand in spring training.

4. Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Leave him in AAA until you decide to use him daily I say.

5. halladaysbicepts - May 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I want this kid to remain in AAA until September call ups so he faces as little pressure as possible. Brown is not ready yet. Until then, Mayberry Jr. needs to be made the everyday starter in left field in place of the sorry excuse known as the Ibanez.

6. macjacmccoy - May 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Francisco is doing a solid job Ibanez not so much. If Brown does come up soon I think he will see more time in left field then right.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6007)