Questionable report: Andy Pettitte may want to pitch in 2012

May 2, 2011, 8:25 AM EST

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

I’m hesitant to even be that precise about it in the headline because, like so many other reports, it’s source is “Andy Pettitte’s friends.”  And every bogus Andy Pettitte rumor we’ve heard since the end of last season has been attributed to a “friend” of Pettitte’s.

Indeed, looking back on all of them one could easily conclude that either these people whispering to reporters aren’t really Pettitte’s friends or else they’re such good friends that they and Pettitte himself have decided to have a great bit of fun in messing with people.

That said, Phil Rogers passes along word from these guys that Pettitte “definitely won’t pitch this season but isn’t ruling out 2012.”

Let us at this time recall the number of successful comebacks by 40-year-old pitchers who have taken an entire year off … I got zero. Anyone got any more?

1. uyf1950 - May 2, 2011 at 8:31 AM

I don’t know about 40 year old’s. But I can think of one soon to be 38 year old that’s done OK so far after not pitching in 2010 and very, very limited pitching before that for 3 or 4 years.

• yankeesfanlen - May 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I hope I’m not reading you wrong, uyf, but please don’t start wanting Andy back. We just can’t leave that ol’ gang of mine from the nineties around in perpetuity. They’ll be someone along by the trade deadline or something and we can leave this sentimental journey in the backround.
      Mr. Pettitte is in a better place now. Trust me.

• uyf1950 - May 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM

My friend I take Andy at his word that he’s retired. But to answer your question. I was only responding to Craigs question if there was anyone who hadn’t pitched in a while but was doing Ok. I think Andy’s time has come and gone. I would have like to see him in uniform this season but that wasn’t to be.

• aceshigh11 - May 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM

You’re talking about him like he passed away!

2. BC - May 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Fergie Jenkins missed most of a season when he was 38 or 39, then came back and had a good season for the White Sox. That’s the only one I can think of.

3. billybeaneismyhero - May 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM

That’s very Pedro Martinez of Pettitte if true. I doubt it though. Pettitte is a man of his word. He’s done.

4. bigharold - May 2, 2011 at 10:49 AM

When Pettitte was resigned by the Yankees after three years with the Astos I posted that I thought bringing him back was dubious and that signing him might well be an expensive but more importantly unproductive trip down memory lane. Clearly I was wrong. If he comes back next season I will think the same thing and most likely be right this time.

I hope he thinks this through and decides against it.

5. Eric Solomon - May 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I love Andy, but at this point the next time I want to see him on the mound is at Old Timer’s Day.

6. pisano - May 2, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Nothing against Pettite, but if Jeter and Posada aren’t enough reason to get younger, I don’t know what is. The Yankees held on to these guys too long. They are both finished, so now what do you do with both of them? Posada at the plate is a joke and Jeter isn’t much better. Eric Chavez should platoon at DH and Nunez should take over at SS. To bring Pettite back which is pure speculation, would be risky at best. There have to be changes made if the Yankees want to go to the World Series.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5211)
  2. M. Kemp (3102)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2787)
  4. C. McGehee (2786)