May 2, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
I’m hesitant to even be that precise about it in the headline because, like so many other reports, it’s source is “Andy Pettitte’s friends.” And every bogus Andy Pettitte rumor we’ve heard since the end of last season has been attributed to a “friend” of Pettitte’s.
Indeed, looking back on all of them one could easily conclude that either these people whispering to reporters aren’t really Pettitte’s friends or else they’re such good friends that they and Pettitte himself have decided to have a great bit of fun in messing with people.
That said, Phil Rogers passes along word from these guys that Pettitte “definitely won’t pitch this season but isn’t ruling out 2012.”
Let us at this time recall the number of successful comebacks by 40-year-old pitchers who have taken an entire year off … I got zero. Anyone got any more?
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11