May 2, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
I’m hesitant to even be that precise about it in the headline because, like so many other reports, it’s source is “Andy Pettitte’s friends.” And every bogus Andy Pettitte rumor we’ve heard since the end of last season has been attributed to a “friend” of Pettitte’s.
Indeed, looking back on all of them one could easily conclude that either these people whispering to reporters aren’t really Pettitte’s friends or else they’re such good friends that they and Pettitte himself have decided to have a great bit of fun in messing with people.
That said, Phil Rogers passes along word from these guys that Pettitte “definitely won’t pitch this season but isn’t ruling out 2012.”
Let us at this time recall the number of successful comebacks by 40-year-old pitchers who have taken an entire year off … I got zero. Anyone got any more?
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)