May 2, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
I’m hesitant to even be that precise about it in the headline because, like so many other reports, it’s source is “Andy Pettitte’s friends.” And every bogus Andy Pettitte rumor we’ve heard since the end of last season has been attributed to a “friend” of Pettitte’s.
Indeed, looking back on all of them one could easily conclude that either these people whispering to reporters aren’t really Pettitte’s friends or else they’re such good friends that they and Pettitte himself have decided to have a great bit of fun in messing with people.
That said, Phil Rogers passes along word from these guys that Pettitte “definitely won’t pitch this season but isn’t ruling out 2012.”
Let us at this time recall the number of successful comebacks by 40-year-old pitchers who have taken an entire year off … I got zero. Anyone got any more?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)