May 2, 2011, 6:01 PM EDT
Cano was injured Sunday while trying a catch a pickoff throw from pitcher Ivan Nova. Eduardo Nunez is starting at second base in his place tonight. Nick Swisher has moved into the fifth spot in the lienup.
Although he’s optimistic about being ready to go Tuesday, Cano didn’t feel as though he’d be ready to pinch-hit tonight. He was seen icing the hand in the clubhouse today, and he believes that going the whole day without gripping a bat will put him in better position to return tomorrow.
“I don’t want to make it worse,” he said when asked about his availability off the bench.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 8
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires