May 2, 2011, 6:01 PM EDT
Cano was injured Sunday while trying a catch a pickoff throw from pitcher Ivan Nova. Eduardo Nunez is starting at second base in his place tonight. Nick Swisher has moved into the fifth spot in the lienup.
Although he’s optimistic about being ready to go Tuesday, Cano didn’t feel as though he’d be ready to pinch-hit tonight. He was seen icing the hand in the clubhouse today, and he believes that going the whole day without gripping a bat will put him in better position to return tomorrow.
“I don’t want to make it worse,” he said when asked about his availability off the bench.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)