May 2, 2011, 6:01 PM EST
Cano was injured Sunday while trying a catch a pickoff throw from pitcher Ivan Nova. Eduardo Nunez is starting at second base in his place tonight. Nick Swisher has moved into the fifth spot in the lienup.
Although he’s optimistic about being ready to go Tuesday, Cano didn’t feel as though he’d be ready to pinch-hit tonight. He was seen icing the hand in the clubhouse today, and he believes that going the whole day without gripping a bat will put him in better position to return tomorrow.
“I don’t want to make it worse,” he said when asked about his availability off the bench.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)