May 2, 2011, 6:01 PM EDT
Cano was injured Sunday while trying a catch a pickoff throw from pitcher Ivan Nova. Eduardo Nunez is starting at second base in his place tonight. Nick Swisher has moved into the fifth spot in the lienup.
Although he’s optimistic about being ready to go Tuesday, Cano didn’t feel as though he’d be ready to pinch-hit tonight. He was seen icing the hand in the clubhouse today, and he believes that going the whole day without gripping a bat will put him in better position to return tomorrow.
“I don’t want to make it worse,” he said when asked about his availability off the bench.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)