May 2, 2011, 6:01 PM EST
Cano was injured Sunday while trying a catch a pickoff throw from pitcher Ivan Nova. Eduardo Nunez is starting at second base in his place tonight. Nick Swisher has moved into the fifth spot in the lienup.
Although he’s optimistic about being ready to go Tuesday, Cano didn’t feel as though he’d be ready to pinch-hit tonight. He was seen icing the hand in the clubhouse today, and he believes that going the whole day without gripping a bat will put him in better position to return tomorrow.
“I don’t want to make it worse,” he said when asked about his availability off the bench.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 6
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 12
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 25
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)