May 2, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
I missed this yesterday — which was apparently written before baseball suspended Roger McDowell for two weeks — but Gwen Knapp of the San Francisco Chronicle reports on Roger McDowell’s behavior in San Francisco last week from another perspective: that of the fan who didn’t hire Gloria Allred to reenact McDowell’s behavior at a press conference. The upshot: the accusations are corroborated and, in my view, hit a lot harder without the lights and TV cameras of that Allred presser.
Also in my view: McDowell’s biggest transgression, at least as far as baseball is concerned, was not the homophobic language or innuendo for its own sake. Rather, it was the fact that he was hostile to baseball fans. Take away the salacious aspects of what he said and change it all to him merely calling them jerks or something more culturally benign, and we’re still left with a situation in which a uniformed representative of the game is confronting Major League Baseball’s paying customers in a hostile manner. That’s just unacceptable. If I ran the Braves, I would strongly consider firing him for the same reasons that any business owner would fire an employee who engaged in unprompted hostilities with customers.
As it stands, McDowell should consider himself very lucky that he got off with a mere two week suspension.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (167)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)