May 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Scott Rolen is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, but Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the “odds are slim” he’ll be ready to return from a strained left shoulder by then.
Reds trainer Paul Lessard told Groeschen that Rolen is progressing in his recovery, but added: “We don’t have a timetable, to be honest.”
Light-hitting veteran utility man Miguel Cairo has been the primary fill in for Rolen at third base, starting eight straight games there before taking Sunday off while rookie Chris Valaika got the assignment.
Juan Francisco is currently on the disabled list himself with a calf injury, but would be in line for some starts at third base if he can beat Rolen back from the DL.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105