May 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Scott Rolen is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, but Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the “odds are slim” he’ll be ready to return from a strained left shoulder by then.
Reds trainer Paul Lessard told Groeschen that Rolen is progressing in his recovery, but added: “We don’t have a timetable, to be honest.”
Light-hitting veteran utility man Miguel Cairo has been the primary fill in for Rolen at third base, starting eight straight games there before taking Sunday off while rookie Chris Valaika got the assignment.
Juan Francisco is currently on the disabled list himself with a calf injury, but would be in line for some starts at third base if he can beat Rolen back from the DL.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)