May 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
Scott Rolen is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, but Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the “odds are slim” he’ll be ready to return from a strained left shoulder by then.
Reds trainer Paul Lessard told Groeschen that Rolen is progressing in his recovery, but added: “We don’t have a timetable, to be honest.”
Light-hitting veteran utility man Miguel Cairo has been the primary fill in for Rolen at third base, starting eight straight games there before taking Sunday off while rookie Chris Valaika got the assignment.
Juan Francisco is currently on the disabled list himself with a calf injury, but would be in line for some starts at third base if he can beat Rolen back from the DL.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27