May 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
Scott Rolen is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, but Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the “odds are slim” he’ll be ready to return from a strained left shoulder by then.
Reds trainer Paul Lessard told Groeschen that Rolen is progressing in his recovery, but added: “We don’t have a timetable, to be honest.”
Light-hitting veteran utility man Miguel Cairo has been the primary fill in for Rolen at third base, starting eight straight games there before taking Sunday off while rookie Chris Valaika got the assignment.
Juan Francisco is currently on the disabled list himself with a calf injury, but would be in line for some starts at third base if he can beat Rolen back from the DL.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)