May 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Scott Rolen is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, but Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the “odds are slim” he’ll be ready to return from a strained left shoulder by then.
Reds trainer Paul Lessard told Groeschen that Rolen is progressing in his recovery, but added: “We don’t have a timetable, to be honest.”
Light-hitting veteran utility man Miguel Cairo has been the primary fill in for Rolen at third base, starting eight straight games there before taking Sunday off while rookie Chris Valaika got the assignment.
Juan Francisco is currently on the disabled list himself with a calf injury, but would be in line for some starts at third base if he can beat Rolen back from the DL.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 11
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)