May 2, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
Scott Sizemore was an apparently healthy scratch from Triple-A Toledo’s lineup on Monday night, suggesting that the Tigers are ready to give last year’s Opening Day second baseman another opportunity.
The 26-year-old Sizemore was off to a torrid start for the Mud Hens, having hit .408/.495/.605 with two homers, 15 RBI and three steals in 23 games.
With Carlos Guillen still on the mend from knee surgery, the Tigers went with Will Rhymes as their primary second baseman to begin this season. Rhymes, though, has hit just .221/.321/.235 with two RBI in 68 at-bats. His struggles had led to Ryan Raburn getting more time at his old position, but the Tigers much prefer Raburn in left field. On Monday, it was veteran utilityman Ramon Santiago who got the call at second base.
Rhymes’ absence suggests that he’ll be sent down to make room for Sizemore. There’s been nothing to indicate that Guillen will return anytime soon, so Sizemore should have the entire month of May to prove he belongs. Possessing considerably more offensive potential than Rhymes, he’s the Tigers’ one internal option capable of stepping up and becoming the team’s long-term second baseman.
Update (10:50 p.m. EDT) – The Tigers confirmed the news after Monday’s loss to the Yankees, announcing that they’d recall Sizemore and demote Rhymes prior to Tuesday’s game.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 60
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (129)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)