“USA! USA! USA!”

May 2, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Fans stand and shout during the National League MLB baseball game between the New York Mets and the Philadelphia Phillies in Philadelphia

There’s a Mark Twain quote making the rounds this morning: “I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”

I’m not sure if that’s an authentic quote or not, but even if Twain never said it, the it sounds very appropriate this morning.  It’s certainly a sentiment that matches my own.

It matches the feeling of those in attendance at the Mets-Phillies game at Citizens Bank Park last night as well. Here was their reaction when word that Osama bin Laden had been killed began to filter through the crowd:

There are things bigger than baseball. Most of them are easy to ignore as we keep our eyes focused on the field, the screen or the box scores.  Some things are different, however. We saw this nearly ten years ago when baseball stopped in the wake of 9/11 and then, thankfully and gloriously, resumed.  We saw this again last night in Citizens Bank Park.

This isn’t about baseball. But there is understandable exhilaration and relief that justice has been done, and I am glad that baseball could share in it, however small and fleeting a moment that it was.

1. BC - May 2, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I have to say the fans were very impressive, even though beer had been shut off for like 5 innings by then.

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Only two innings, BC. So that would put it at just after they drained the last ones from last call at the Yuengling tap.

• BC - May 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Mmmm…..Yuengling…….
        Someone has to lobby to have that shipped to Connecticut….

• Old Gator - May 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Wonder if we’ll ever find out the name of the commando who put that slug in Bin Laden’s brain? You think they’d give him a parade in New York much, maybe, huh?

• joebuckiscreepy - May 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM

His name is Robert Paulson.

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - May 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM

For his safety I would hope we never do. Deserve a parade, absolutely, but imagine the target on that persons back if everyone knew.

2. billybeaneismyhero - May 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Just like there are things bigger than baseball, there are things bigger than Craig’s desire to poke fun and twist the knife of every Phillies fan who’s ever lived. Nice work as always Craig.

3. jontler - May 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM

The quote is actually from Clarence Darrow.

• seanmk - May 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Clarence Darrow
      I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.

Mark Twain
      I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.

4. Old Gator - May 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I never thought I’d rejoice at the death of another human being. I hope the happiness I felt when the news of the death of that piece of shit broke last night is as close as I ever come to it.

• dexterismyhero - May 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

In honor of last night’s momentous news, please take time to enjoy a Bin Laden cocktail, which consists of two shots and splash of water.

• BC - May 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM

5. BC - May 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I was falling asleep in bed watching the interminable Mets-Phillies game when the news broke. I thought I was hallucinating at first. Ended up staying up until 2am watching the coverage. I lost a good friend in the Trade Center on 9/11 and know many friends who have lost relatives fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. This – at least symbollically – is a great event. One only hopes it doesn’t turn up the fires of fringe groups and make things worse.
    Thus ends my one political statement of the day.

6. Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Well Obama’s 180 on the evils of guantanamo bay and how it must and will be closed sure paid off. One campaign promise broken we can all appreciate.

• Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Yeah um I was complimenting Obama there, once you actually become the president it seems your perception on certain things changes. A tip of the hat for his decision on GITMO once he actually took office.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I was wondering what all those imbecile “Obama is a Muslim!” TPN fans and other assorted droolers and knuckledraggers are going to do with this. First the birthers see their delusions implode; now this. Bad few days for the deliberately ignorant.

• Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Although I don’t like to see the POTUS involved in a roast, I was absolutely giggling when he roasted “the Don” Well deserved to say the least. And to think, while he was doing that he also had his eyes on the prize. He squashed what was sure to become a backlash from those who can find no good in anything the “Party they choose to fight” does, and roasting “the Don” would surely have been construed poorly, if it wasn’t already. Politics make me ill, as they bring out the worst of us. Yes, it has been a bad few days for those lemmings who latch onto all things negative when it comes to OUR PRESIDENT. Cap locks were not on, I meant to do that for emphasis. Call me crazy, but this may help Obama garner support for what he’s done well because far right wing nuts probably hate one person more than Obama, and Obama has him “swimmin’ wid da fishes” now. Literally.

• aceshigh11 - May 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

So politics make you ill, and yet you still felt the need to inject it into the thread initially?

And you’re delusional if you think the far right will give Obama ANY credit. Fox News will have this news spun into a net negative for the President’s reelection chances by the end of the day.

Bank on it.

• BC - May 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I honestly think that folks on the political radical left and radical right fringes are simply non-sports fans who need something else to be fanatical about, have no listening skills, and are trying to get air time. For every stupid thing a state or national administration does, there’s a smart thing. It’s all a wash. This coming from someone who leans a little to the right and lives in one of the five bluest district in the country and an all-blue state. Having a job and not seeing our troops die by the thousands are what matter to me. Other than that, if the sun comes up in the morning and I’m breathing, it’s a good day.
        Aw shoot. I wasn’t going to go political again….

• Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Yes, politics do make me ill. But when something makes you ill should you ignore it? If you read what Craig wrote, this wasn’t exactly a baseball thread “ACE”. You kinda sound like the exact opposite of the far right wing nuts I mentioned. While you won’t agree more than likely, Far left wing nuts also do exist and are just as deranged in their own ways.

• aceshigh11 - May 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I’m definitely an unapologetic liberal, but I’m not fanatical about it.

I keep up with politics but I have plenty of other interests (like baseball, obviously).

And that’s true…this isn’t a baseball thread really…take it easy.

• BC - May 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Jonny5 – Eventually you just get tired of everything and throw your hands up in the air. I’m registered independent, but tend to vote Republican more often than not. Where I live, my vote basically doesn’t count. My congressman has a “close race” when he get 68% of the vote. I don’t think Connecticut has gone Republican in a Presidential election since 1988. You just get to a point where you don’t want to hear the noise, and you just care about what affects you and your family. If the government appropriates $500,000 to save striped bass in the Great Pee Dee River in South Carolina, what does that matter to me? Focus on the three of four issues that are most important to you, ignore the rest, and tune out the noise. I know I’m a 43-year-old sounding like I’m 70, but it’s gotten so crazy its just not worth wasting energy on.

• Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Ace, never apologize for being a liberal, it’s you parents fault. They should have raised you better than that. They should be apologetic parents of a liberal, and you should remain unapologetic about it. hahahaha I got you there didn’t I ? I just had paybacks for you jumping my S… It’s cool now?

BC, I know what you mean, I live in a blue state too. That, wha wha what?? elected a “conservative” republican to office because of a serious budget crisis. Well not everybody is singing his praises ( ya know god forbid people pay some of their own insurance premiums like the rest of us) but he’s doing just what he promised. And if NJ was still proceeding the way they were before he was elected? Who knows? We’re one of the toughest taxed states in the country already, and it’s breaking time ( http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/1888.html ). The residents in my state while predominately “liberal”, also saw that they can’t continue to allow government to run out of control as it was. And voted that way.

7. 1historian - May 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM

It is not a good thing that ObL died the way he did, but it is a good thing that his death came at the hands of those he hated the most – Us Americans.
    As for the reaction of filly fans – whatelseisnew?
    May God have mercy on this man because allah can’t help him now.

The prez will be remembered for letting (I am not worthy to mention his name but translated from the original dutch it is) ‘the silly little man with funny hair and tons of money and an insane desire for attention’ get under his royal skin to the extent that he felt he had to respond. In other words for even NOTICING the dude.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM

When you murder three thousand people in cold blood in lower Manhattan on national television, it does tend to call attention, you know?

Good grief.

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Gator, I may be wrong, but I believe he was referring to Saturday’s Correspondents’ Dinner and President Obama’s rip of Trump. However, it WAS/IS always a light night, and lots of people roast themselves, their colleagues and political enemies. No harm done here—or there, really.

As far as his comment on Philly fans, I don’t know what he’s saying there.

• Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Allah and God are one, and the same. I mean that’s at least what the history books titled “Holy Bible” and” Kuran” tell us anyway. Religion, like politics tend to divide even if your working for the same thing I guess….

8. 1historian - May 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Gator – you didn’t get it – Refer to Jonny 5 @ 11:46 a.m.

As for your response – you have two choices.

1) Whoops
    2) Never mind

• Old Gator - May 2, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I’ll go with “duh-uhhh.” Let it never be said that I was incapable of objective self-assessment.

9. APBA Guy - May 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I grew up in a military family, went to base schools, the whole Army brat trip, even was accepted at West Point. And while I’ve certainly seen the downside of the military lifestyle, I knew even as a youngster that the common and overarching thread for over 200 years of US military history has been bravery and perseverance. How anyone would believe that they could attack the US in the cowardly, despicable way that bin Laden and his agents did on 9/11 and survive is proof of their insanity. Since we were a colony our reaction to these kinds of attacks has been the same: relentless, merciless, and unyielding. The collateral damage is often more than we’d like, and it’s crazy that the cost of the defense of the Western world is borne primarily by us, nevertheless, 10 years and $ 1.2 trillion dollars later here we are.

10. The Baseball Idiot - May 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Phillies fans rock!!!!

11. Maxa - May 2, 2011 at 2:39 PM

To be honest, I found the reaction a little uncomfortable. Obviously, it’s a good thing that Bin Laden has been eliminated; I’m just not sure that chants of “USA! USA!” (and similarly enthusiastic outbursts) demonstrate the kind of attitude one should have in this case.

• BC - May 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Agree. I was surprised by the celebrations. Though it seemed like most of those celebrating were 25 and under. They recall 9/11/01 in a different lens than people in their 30s and 40s or older. They most likely also did not lose someone they knew in the attacks of that day, as I did.

12. Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM

To lighten the mood a bit, and in the interest of national unity, I hereby declare that I have a hankering for a piece of good old American apple pie. Heyward?

• BC - May 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM

And then wash it down with a Budweiser.

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

EEEEWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! Hell no!!!!!!! Yuengling all the way, BC. Patriotism does have its limits. After all, good old Lager is made in the USA, too.

• BC - May 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Yeah, but Budweiser is kind of synonymous with America. Regular Bud is OK as long as it’s REALLLLLY cold. Bud Light? Feh. Why bother.
        I don’t drink much if any beer any more, but Yuengling is probably my second favorite domestic beer, next to Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, which is somewhat hard to find. For lagers, Magic Hat Mother Lager is also quite good, assuming you can get it down your way.

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

To paraphrase Nancy Reagan, “Just say no to Budweiser, right Ms. Warwick?”

Sam Adams would actually be a good substitute for Yuengling, and it’s got the patriotic, American connection there, too, if in name only. And Sam Black Lager is excellent as a dessert beer.

• cur68 - May 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Are you nuts UH? Never admit to hanker for pie. It only encourages the pro pie lobby weirdos. I ate cake in honor the big event. Since it was my dad’s birthday as well, I got double duty out of my cake. Its election day here in Beaverland. The winner shall eat cake. The loser will be consoled with pie.

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

The loser will be consoled or pelted with pie?

• cur68 - May 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Loser consumption of pie and pie pelting at losers are both acceptable uses for pie, even in elections. Winners shall, and do, eat cake. This is the natural order of the universe.

• Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Where’s Heyward and other pie eaters when all of you cake eaters get mouthy, as you always dooooo.. That’s it, I’m lighting up the Pie eaters beacon spot light after I finish this cherry pie of course. And You’ll see! You all will see! Pie eaters unite!

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

By the way, Heyward and Jonny were mounting their pies on Friday. And then Jonny was sick all weekend and today. Coincidence? Until I see evidence to the contrary, I don’t see it as such.

Jonny, cake will cure all your ills. And pie—unless it’s actually Heyward—will just make it worse.

• Jonny 5 - May 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

First of all. exhibit 1

Has there ever been more damning evidence of which is better? Pie or cake (typed in the proper order if you noticed)

She wasn’t his chocolate cake, nor was she even red velvet cake. No, she was much more than that.

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny…why I just thought of Johnny Get Your Gun, I don’t know, but I digress…

I did say above that I have a hankering for American apple pie—in the interest of national unity, anyway. And you feel the need to antagonize the cake community with your anti-God (’cause cake is like being in Heaven) claims? And another question to you is this: with you on your sick bed, will that cherry pie stay down? Hmm?

• cur68 - May 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM

J5 and other pie eaters; no woman jumps out of pie. Only cake. When one loses a big election one heats humble pie, not humble cake. The cake is for the winner. Cows make cow pies and when one does something exceptional one takes the cake. Your attempts to embolden your pie are weak in the face of my superior arguments and indisputable cake based logic.

If reports that are just in are true you and El Bravo are due a pie intervention for behavior unbecoming of even pie eaters. Congress with you pie? Really? How sick. It is no wonder you are unwell. Probably a pie-prion that has wound its way around your DNA and is unravelling it as we have this conversation. Next time try mounting cake; there’s a good chance there’s a woman inside.

13. halladaysbicepts - May 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

The Phillies losing to the Muts yesterday did not bother me because it was obviously secondary to the Bin Laden news.

What did bother me was that sack of an excuse ex-manager known as Bobby Valentine. This guy was ridiculously critical of Jimmy Rollins defense, basically saying that Rollins was not aggressive enough charging on a ground ball hit by Reyes. Said it was inexcusable, about three different occasions, same play. What are you kidding me, Bobby? When you were manager of the Mutts, you would be lucky to have had a player on that loser team with half the heart of Jimmy Rollins.

14. schmedley69 - May 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Kudos to the Phillies fans. Unfortunately, one of the players wasn’t as patriotic last night. This is what Cliff Lee said when asked how he felt when he heard that Bin Laden was dead: “It took them long enough.”

I’m a Phillies fan, but I’ll tell you what, I don’t like Cliff Lee. What a jerk! These military people, who make peanuts, put their lives on the line to try and make this country a safer place, and Cliff Lee, who makes $120 million to play a game, says “it took you long enough.” What a complete jerk!!! Cliff Lee, you are an ass!!!

• Utley's Hair - May 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM

schmedley, I’m willing to give Cliffy the benefit of the doubt here. According to http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110501&content_id=18479234&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb , it sounds like it might’ve been in reference to the time it took the info to get to the players, and not, in fact, that it took them 9 1/2 years to get him.

“I didn’t really understand what was going on there for a minute,” said Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee, who was watching the game from the dugout. “Then someone came up and said bin Laden had been killed over there. Took them long enough.”

• schmedley69 - May 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM

If that’s the case, then my bad. I hope that he wouldn’t be that insensitive.

15. fishmatt - May 2, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I was at the game last night in Section 432. When the news broke and we began to share it with the people around us it was quite an experience. It was all very surreal. It’s something I’ll never forget. God Bless America!

• BC - May 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I remember being at a Hartford Whalers game in (I think) 1990 when right before the game and the Anthem, they announced we launched attacks on Iraq in the first Gulf War. People didn’t have iPhones or Blackberrys then, but when the announcement came on, I agree, it was surreal. The crowd was stunned for a bit. Never heard more people sing the Anthem than I did that night though.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4016)