May 2, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
There’s a Mark Twain quote making the rounds this morning: “I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”
I’m not sure if that’s an authentic quote or not, but even if Twain never said it, the it sounds very appropriate this morning. It’s certainly a sentiment that matches my own.
It matches the feeling of those in attendance at the Mets-Phillies game at Citizens Bank Park last night as well. Here was their reaction when word that Osama bin Laden had been killed began to filter through the crowd:
There are things bigger than baseball. Most of them are easy to ignore as we keep our eyes focused on the field, the screen or the box scores. Some things are different, however. We saw this nearly ten years ago when baseball stopped in the wake of 9/11 and then, thankfully and gloriously, resumed. We saw this again last night in Citizens Bank Park.
This isn’t about baseball. But there is understandable exhilaration and relief that justice has been done, and I am glad that baseball could share in it, however small and fleeting a moment that it was.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?