May 2, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
There’s a Mark Twain quote making the rounds this morning: “I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”
I’m not sure if that’s an authentic quote or not, but even if Twain never said it, the it sounds very appropriate this morning. It’s certainly a sentiment that matches my own.
It matches the feeling of those in attendance at the Mets-Phillies game at Citizens Bank Park last night as well. Here was their reaction when word that Osama bin Laden had been killed began to filter through the crowd:
There are things bigger than baseball. Most of them are easy to ignore as we keep our eyes focused on the field, the screen or the box scores. Some things are different, however. We saw this nearly ten years ago when baseball stopped in the wake of 9/11 and then, thankfully and gloriously, resumed. We saw this again last night in Citizens Bank Park.
This isn’t about baseball. But there is understandable exhilaration and relief that justice has been done, and I am glad that baseball could share in it, however small and fleeting a moment that it was.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (306)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)