May 3, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Andrew Bailey is expected to take a big step in his recovery from a strained forearm when he faces live hitters for the first time tomorrow.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that the A’s closer has completed “a large handful of successful bullpen sessions” and will be asked to face live hitters twice before potentially being cleared for a minor-league rehab assignment.
Incidentally, does “a large handful” of something imply more than five? Or does it just mean four or five while “a small handful” means two or three?
And if “a large handful” means more than five, then could “a giant handful” mean, like, 50? After all, we’re talking about bullpen sessions rather than something that can physically be held in a hand, so in theory there could be “an infinitely massive handful” that fits billions of bullpen sessions. That pitcher would probably need Tommy John surgery after like the first 10 million bullpen sessions, though.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)