May 3, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Andrew Bailey is expected to take a big step in his recovery from a strained forearm when he faces live hitters for the first time tomorrow.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that the A’s closer has completed “a large handful of successful bullpen sessions” and will be asked to face live hitters twice before potentially being cleared for a minor-league rehab assignment.
Incidentally, does “a large handful” of something imply more than five? Or does it just mean four or five while “a small handful” means two or three?
And if “a large handful” means more than five, then could “a giant handful” mean, like, 50? After all, we’re talking about bullpen sessions rather than something that can physically be held in a hand, so in theory there could be “an infinitely massive handful” that fits billions of bullpen sessions. That pitcher would probably need Tommy John surgery after like the first 10 million bullpen sessions, though.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)