May 3, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Andrew Bailey is expected to take a big step in his recovery from a strained forearm when he faces live hitters for the first time tomorrow.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that the A’s closer has completed “a large handful of successful bullpen sessions” and will be asked to face live hitters twice before potentially being cleared for a minor-league rehab assignment.
Incidentally, does “a large handful” of something imply more than five? Or does it just mean four or five while “a small handful” means two or three?
And if “a large handful” means more than five, then could “a giant handful” mean, like, 50? After all, we’re talking about bullpen sessions rather than something that can physically be held in a hand, so in theory there could be “an infinitely massive handful” that fits billions of bullpen sessions. That pitcher would probably need Tommy John surgery after like the first 10 million bullpen sessions, though.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)