May 3, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Nyjer Morgan, who was off to a scorching start replacing the injured Corey Hart in right field for the Brewers before landing on the DL with a deep thigh bruise, was activated Tuesday and immediately inserted into Carlos Gomez‘s spot in the lineup.
It doesn’t figure to be a one-day move, what with Gomez hitting just .236/.278/.311 for the year. Gomez remains a top-notch defensive center fielder and he’s gone 8-for-9 stealing bases in 28 games this year, but he’s now had 1,414 major league at-bats and he’s hit all of .245/.292/.346.
Only five active major leaguers with at least 1,400 plate appearances have worse OPSs than Gomez’s .638 mark: Juan Castro (.595), John McDonald (.604), Cesar Izturis (.618), Jose Molina (.621) and Ronny Cedeno (.635).
Of course, Morgan actually came in with a .633 OPS in Washington last year. However, he was 10-for-22 with four extra-base hits before going on the DL this year, giving him a .455/.500/.727 line. He’s a career .286/.347/.366 hitter. If he can hit at his lifetime mark going forward, then he’ll likely take over as Milwaukee’s primary center fielder.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)