May 3, 2011, 6:20 PM EST
Nyjer Morgan, who was off to a scorching start replacing the injured Corey Hart in right field for the Brewers before landing on the DL with a deep thigh bruise, was activated Tuesday and immediately inserted into Carlos Gomez‘s spot in the lineup.
It doesn’t figure to be a one-day move, what with Gomez hitting just .236/.278/.311 for the year. Gomez remains a top-notch defensive center fielder and he’s gone 8-for-9 stealing bases in 28 games this year, but he’s now had 1,414 major league at-bats and he’s hit all of .245/.292/.346.
Only five active major leaguers with at least 1,400 plate appearances have worse OPSs than Gomez’s .638 mark: Juan Castro (.595), John McDonald (.604), Cesar Izturis (.618), Jose Molina (.621) and Ronny Cedeno (.635).
Of course, Morgan actually came in with a .633 OPS in Washington last year. However, he was 10-for-22 with four extra-base hits before going on the DL this year, giving him a .455/.500/.727 line. He’s a career .286/.347/.366 hitter. If he can hit at his lifetime mark going forward, then he’ll likely take over as Milwaukee’s primary center fielder.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)