May 3, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
Observed: The Giants have the second-to-worst offense in the National League, scoring only 3.54 runs a game.
Observed: Brandon Belt, who they sent down to Fresno last week, is hitting .517 with two homers four doubles, eight walks and ten RBI in 37 plate appearances at AAA.
Yes, I know Belt doesn’t play third base, but Miguel Tejada stinks on ice on defense too. If you’re the Giants, don’t you try something? This is getting pathetic.
UPDATE: Gleeman reminds me that, duh, Belt is a lefty and you don’t exactly see a lot of lefties playing third base. So, fine, dumb idea. Even so, at least consider putting Huff over there. Yeah, he’d stink too, but he’s already showed an admirable willingness to embarrass himself on defense this year, so maybe it could work. And all of that said, I’d probably rather play an inexperienced lefty third baseman than Miguel Tejada right now.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)