May 3, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
Observed: The Giants have the second-to-worst offense in the National League, scoring only 3.54 runs a game.
Observed: Brandon Belt, who they sent down to Fresno last week, is hitting .517 with two homers four doubles, eight walks and ten RBI in 37 plate appearances at AAA.
Yes, I know Belt doesn’t play third base, but Miguel Tejada stinks on ice on defense too. If you’re the Giants, don’t you try something? This is getting pathetic.
UPDATE: Gleeman reminds me that, duh, Belt is a lefty and you don’t exactly see a lot of lefties playing third base. So, fine, dumb idea. Even so, at least consider putting Huff over there. Yeah, he’d stink too, but he’s already showed an admirable willingness to embarrass himself on defense this year, so maybe it could work. And all of that said, I’d probably rather play an inexperienced lefty third baseman than Miguel Tejada right now.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)