May 3, 2011, 7:57 PM EDT
Utley has picked up workouts over the past week and has participated in two brief simulated games over the past three days.
“It might be time to let him go somewhere, like Clearwater or something, and start getting into a broader, bigger routine,” Manuel said. “I think he’s doing much better. He’s getting there in how he responds after he does that kind of workout like he did the last couple days. That’s what counts. I definitely think he’s closer than what he was a week or two weeks ago.”
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said there are no set plans to send Utley to extended spring training, but indicated that they’ll know more when they see how the knee responds tomorrow.
“He seemed to do OK again today, and if he’s feeling well tomorrow, we’ll try to take the next step,” Amaro said.
Entering play Tuesday, Phillies’ second basemen have combined to bat just .235/.286/.276 with zero homers, four doubles and a .561 OPS over 98 at-bats so far this season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 37
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 95
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (97)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)