May 3, 2011, 7:57 PM EDT
Utley has picked up workouts over the past week and has participated in two brief simulated games over the past three days.
“It might be time to let him go somewhere, like Clearwater or something, and start getting into a broader, bigger routine,” Manuel said. “I think he’s doing much better. He’s getting there in how he responds after he does that kind of workout like he did the last couple days. That’s what counts. I definitely think he’s closer than what he was a week or two weeks ago.”
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said there are no set plans to send Utley to extended spring training, but indicated that they’ll know more when they see how the knee responds tomorrow.
“He seemed to do OK again today, and if he’s feeling well tomorrow, we’ll try to take the next step,” Amaro said.
Entering play Tuesday, Phillies’ second basemen have combined to bat just .235/.286/.276 with zero homers, four doubles and a .561 OPS over 98 at-bats so far this season.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)