May 3, 2011, 8:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: It doesn’t sound like Frank McCourt changed any minds during his radio hit today. According to Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts, McCourt basically said everyone is lying about him:
“If the stuff that was written about me was true, I wouldn’t trust me either”
Except that most of the stuff that has everyone hating and not trusting him were things that came out under oath during his divorce proceedings. Or, as Jon notes, all of the defenses McCourt raises are ludicrous on their face. Such as his claim that the FOX deal is totally fabulous despite the fact that it was clearly struck while McCourt was desperate. And that his financial woes are the result of Major League Baseball blocking the deal, even though it is a deal for the future and that it’s his past that is catching up with him.
The fans aren’t buying it either. The first caller on the radio show said that he won’t go to a Dodger game as long as McCourt owns the team. I don’t think that person is alone.
For a totally thorough recap, go to Dodger Divorce, where my friend Josh Fisher and ESPN’s Molly Knight, each of whom have been covering McCourt in detail for years, live-chatted the call, the recap of which you read now. It’s not pretty for Frank McCourt. Unfortunately for him, he’s too deluded to realize it.
2:29 PM: This ought to be fun. Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Thoughts comes word that Dodgers “owner” Frank McCourt join Steve Mason and John Ireland at 3 p.m. Pacific time on ESPN AM 710 in Los Angeles. And during the broadcast he’s going to take calls from fans.
Here’s hoping that some good sharp questions are allowed through the call screeners. Not ranting lunatics, but Dodgers fans who can explain to Frank McCourt that his problems are not, contrary to his claims, one of fan perception. And fans who can demand from him something a little better than the condescension he’s been giving them for some time.
Mostly, though, this should be good for Frank McCourt awkwardness. He doesn’t strike me as a man who is very self-aware. It should be interesting to hear what happens when he’s challenged.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)