May 3, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
After missing most of spring training and the entire first month of the season with what was recently diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, Franklin Gutierrez finally began a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Tacoma last night.
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that Gutierrez was in the lineup as the designated hitter and went 1-for-4 with a triple. He is scheduled to play five innings in center field in tonight’s game.
Gutierrez lost 15 pounds during his recent stomach issues, but Mariners manager Eric Wedge indicated Tuesday that he might not be far away.
“We’ll re-evaluate this weekend, see where’s he’s at,” Wedge said. “We’re taking it day by day right now. We’ll see how it comes together this weekend and go from there. See how much more time, if any, he needs.”
Gutierrez batted .245/.303/.363 with 12 homers, 64 RBI and a .666 OPS last season while winning his first Gold Glove award for his outstanding defense in center field.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)