May 3, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
After missing most of spring training and the entire first month of the season with what was recently diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, Franklin Gutierrez finally began a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Tacoma last night.
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that Gutierrez was in the lineup as the designated hitter and went 1-for-4 with a triple. He is scheduled to play five innings in center field in tonight’s game.
Gutierrez lost 15 pounds during his recent stomach issues, but Mariners manager Eric Wedge indicated Tuesday that he might not be far away.
“We’ll re-evaluate this weekend, see where’s he’s at,” Wedge said. “We’re taking it day by day right now. We’ll see how it comes together this weekend and go from there. See how much more time, if any, he needs.”
Gutierrez batted .245/.303/.363 with 12 homers, 64 RBI and a .666 OPS last season while winning his first Gold Glove award for his outstanding defense in center field.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)