May 3, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Last we heard of Drayton McLane’s efforts to sell the Astros, he was speaking to three potential bidders. The only one whose identity we knew was Jim Crane, the Houston businessman who (a) at one time a couple of years ago tried to buy the Astros; and (b) last year almost landed the Rangers in a partner-up deal with Mark Cuban. Now, however, there is a sole bidder and it’s just Crane. Zach Levine reports.
It’s been a while since we had a quick, seamless and drama-free transfer of ownership. But it looks like we’re going to get it here.
Note to Jim: If you take over, go back to emphasizing orange and blue. Maybe even using the logo to the right, with Minute Maid Park’s picture replacing the dome. And even if you don’t go that far, at least give them back the caps with the capital H superimposed over the star. Classics never go out of style, man.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)