May 3, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Last we heard of Drayton McLane’s efforts to sell the Astros, he was speaking to three potential bidders. The only one whose identity we knew was Jim Crane, the Houston businessman who (a) at one time a couple of years ago tried to buy the Astros; and (b) last year almost landed the Rangers in a partner-up deal with Mark Cuban. Now, however, there is a sole bidder and it’s just Crane. Zach Levine reports.
It’s been a while since we had a quick, seamless and drama-free transfer of ownership. But it looks like we’re going to get it here.
Note to Jim: If you take over, go back to emphasizing orange and blue. Maybe even using the logo to the right, with Minute Maid Park’s picture replacing the dome. And even if you don’t go that far, at least give them back the caps with the capital H superimposed over the star. Classics never go out of style, man.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)