May 3, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Last we heard of Drayton McLane’s efforts to sell the Astros, he was speaking to three potential bidders. The only one whose identity we knew was Jim Crane, the Houston businessman who (a) at one time a couple of years ago tried to buy the Astros; and (b) last year almost landed the Rangers in a partner-up deal with Mark Cuban. Now, however, there is a sole bidder and it’s just Crane. Zach Levine reports.
It’s been a while since we had a quick, seamless and drama-free transfer of ownership. But it looks like we’re going to get it here.
Note to Jim: If you take over, go back to emphasizing orange and blue. Maybe even using the logo to the right, with Minute Maid Park’s picture replacing the dome. And even if you don’t go that far, at least give them back the caps with the capital H superimposed over the star. Classics never go out of style, man.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 6
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)