May 3, 2011, 11:46 AM EST
Orlando Hudson is a 33-year-old who’s never stolen more than 10 bases in a season and the Twins let him walk as a free agent while talking about wanting to add more speed to the lineup at his position.
All of which makes this pretty remarkable: Hudson has already tied his career-high with 10 steals in just 28 games.
He’s typically been an efficient base-stealer, but Hudson has never even attempted more than 15 steals in a season. Right now he’s on pace to go 56-for-56.
Dan Hayes of the North County Times writes that, unlike Hudson’s previous teams, the Padres are encouraging him to run freely, and Hudson explained all the running by noting that San Diego’s lineup isn’t well-suited for station-to-station ball so he’s “doing whatever I can to get that extra base.”
All true, but it’s worth noting that despite all that running Hudson has only scored nine runs in 28 games. His fantasy owners are no doubt thrilled, but it hasn’t had much of an on-field impact yet.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)