May 3, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Being underrated is a tricky business. The more underrated you become, the more people note how underrated you are, and thus the more people try to emphatically make your case for being better than people think and thus the quicker it is that you become overrated. Ask Ben Wallace how this works. Or the city of Portland, Oregon.
Most selected was Shin-Soo Choo (13%), followed by the Atlanta Braves’ Martin Prado (5%), the Texas Rangers’ DH Michael Young (4%), the Boston Red Sox’s 1B Adrian Gonzalez (4%) and the Washington Nationals’ 3B Ryan Zimmerman (3%).
Choo is a Boras client, of course, so expect to see this poll show up in his little prospectus when he hits free agency. I’m not sure how one goes about overselling underratedness, but I’m sure Boras will figure it out.
UPDATE: Well, this is bad timing.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 0
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 27
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)