May 3, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Being underrated is a tricky business. The more underrated you become, the more people note how underrated you are, and thus the more people try to emphatically make your case for being better than people think and thus the quicker it is that you become overrated. Ask Ben Wallace how this works. Or the city of Portland, Oregon.
Most selected was Shin-Soo Choo (13%), followed by the Atlanta Braves’ Martin Prado (5%), the Texas Rangers’ DH Michael Young (4%), the Boston Red Sox’s 1B Adrian Gonzalez (4%) and the Washington Nationals’ 3B Ryan Zimmerman (3%).
Choo is a Boras client, of course, so expect to see this poll show up in his little prospectus when he hits free agency. I’m not sure how one goes about overselling underratedness, but I’m sure Boras will figure it out.
UPDATE: Well, this is bad timing.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)