Raul Ibanez finally snaps hitless streak

May 3, 2011, 8:28 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

It’s finally over.

Raul Ibanez snapped an 0-for-35 hitless skid earlier this evening by smacking a ground rule double to center field off Nationals right-hander Livan Hernandez in the bottom of the fourth inning.

It was his first hit since April 18.

Ibanez grounded out to Hernandez in the second inning and would have tied a franchise record for position players if it wasn’t for the fourth-inning double.┬áDesi Relaford went 0-for-36 with the Phillies during the 1998 season.

1. halladaysbicepts - May 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM

It’s about time! I still say that Ibanez is cooked. I watch him play everyday and his bat speed is pedestrian. 39 yrs/old and showing his age. I would be in favor of playing Mayberry Jr. 5 out of 7 days to see see what we have there, regardless of lefty/righty pitching.

2. xmatt0926x - May 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I have to agree. Ibanez seems like an awesome person and very down to earth but we have to be realistic. Everyone is assuming that because he has caught fire in the later parts of seasons in the past that he will do so again. At what age can you stop counting on that to happen? I read a story about a year ago where they looked at players who were 36 or older in the post-steroid era and the numbers were brutal. Time is the fire in which we all burn as they say. I’m not sold on Mayberry but I wouldn’t wait too long to bring Dom Brown up. He’s already excelled at triple A so how long do you wait to bring him up? He wouldn’t be the first top prospect to have to take some lumps in the bigs before developing as a player. He can’t do any worse than Ibanez and who knows, maybe by September he has learned a thing or two and has developed into a legitimate threat at the plate. He’s 23. It’s time.

• halladaysbicepts - May 3, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I’m not sure how old you are, but pre-steroid era, the Phillies had an aging Dale Murphy, one of the premier power hitters in the league, that we acquired from the Braves. He was a great player (MVP), but at 34-35, he was cooked because his bat speed was not there anymore and retired. And it was a shame because Dale Murphy was one of the greatest people ever.

But, once bat speed goes, there’s noting that can be done. Same holds true for Ibanez.

3. xmatt0926x - May 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

I’m 38 and remember the Dale Murphy acquisition like it was yesterday. Typical of the Phillies moves in that era when they had to get players past their prime to give the fans some hope that the team was trying to compete. Off the top of my head he had about 20 homers for the Phillies but was way past his prime. Any Phillies fan younger than 30 likely has no idea that the Phillies were once one of the dead franchises that had no chance year after year. They have no idea of the Steve Jeltz era and his geri curl.

• halladaysbicepts - May 3, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Yeah, were about the same age and we lived during the same crap that was 80’s teams, year to year….Steve Jeltz, LOL! The next coming… How about a rotation of Kevin Gross, Shane Rawley and whoever else. It was nauseating to watch…

• bleedgreen - May 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I’m 29 and I remember. Once Schmidty retired (I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, and I cried. I idolized Michael Jack) they seemed to give up except for a fluke flare up in 92/93. They were TERRIBLE from the time the Kruk/Dykstra/Dalton/Morandini/Hayes era ended until about 2004. Heck, it was ‘almost’ nice to be able to goto the game on a whim and get great seats. Both because the Vet held 65K people AND because no one went to see them.

4. deathmonkey41 - May 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I watched Ibanez in the AL for years and I can tell you that he was never he hitter that he was when he first came over to the Phillies. I think that blogger who wrote the story questioning whether or not it was due to artifical means was correct in asking so. I think Ibanez felt the pressure of the big contract late in his career and finally playing in front of a crowd that actually cared about baseball. I think he already was on the decline, but the boost he got when he first came over just amplified it.

• Reflex - May 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Um, the Seattle crowd cares about baseball. Also tends to be very knowledgable and sabermetric friendly. Pretty good at rooting for thier team too, even when they suck.

5. Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I don’t know how many times I’ve thought “If i was the Mgr I’d have benched _____ by now. Only to have them play above expectations at a later date. Charlie knows the game, and he knows the players, and i trust him.

In Charlie I trust..

And i’ll leave it at that.

6. BC - May 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Hey. When did Ibanez go Jordan? Nice dome there.

7. westcoastfan - May 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I saw him on TV playing against the Mets last Sunday. Has anyone else noticed that he looks considerably smaller than he did just a couple of years ago? Looks like someone stopped receiving his BALCO shipments. Maybe that’s why he isn’t hitting like he used to.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey