Report: Giants have discussed bid for Jose Reyes

May 3, 2011, 9:02 PM EST

Houston Astros v New York Mets Getty Images

CSN Bay Area’s Mychael Urban reports that the Giants have held internal discussions on making a run at Jose Reyes.

The Giants are hurting in the infield with Pablo Sandoval likely out through the end of June with a broken hamate bone.  They’re currently using the slumping Miguel Tejada at third base and Mike Fontenot, a natural second baseman, at shortstop.

Reyes, who is currently hitting .309/.348/.439 with 10 steals, would be an impact player at the top of the San Francisco lineup, though he wouldn’t come cheap.  The Mets would likely have to be bowled over to move him so early on the season.  They know they’ll still be able to get good value for the free-agent-to-be if they hold on to him until late July.

If the Giants do inquire, the Mets would probably start by asking for Madison Bumgarner or Brandon Belt in return.  Belt isn’t a particularly good fit with the Mets, who already have Ike Davis at first base and Jason Bay in left, but he could be playable in right field and he has big-time value.

The Giants would be more likely to pitch a package involving either RHP Zack Wheeler or OF Gary Brown, along with a lesser prospect or two.

1. skerney - May 3, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Gary Brown, Henry Sosa and PTBNL for Reyes seems fair.

2. macjacmccoy - May 3, 2011 at 9:19 PM

They should trade Bumgarner guys was a flash in the pan.

• skerney - May 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM

A 21 year old LHP built like a horse who throws mid to high 90s is the textbook definition of Gold.

3. halladaysbicepts - May 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM

If I were the Giants (and I’m not a fan of them since they beat the Phillies last year, and they won fair and square), I would not touch this Mutt with a 20 ft. pole. Reyes can be a good player, when he wants to, but seems to be a little overrated. I’ve seen enough of his play throughout the last few years to say he’s not the type of player that I would want on my team. Inconsistent and not a clutch hitter at all. For that matter, I wouldn’t want any player from that team. When the Phillies were considering Luis Castillo earlier this spring as a temporary replacement for Chase Utley, I almost had a stroke.

However, I realize that some team will either trade for Reyes or pony up a big money contract for him. I would not.

• skerney - May 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I’ve never liked Reyes. His attitude, his play, his streakiness rub me the wrong way. Personality wise he is the anti 2011 Giant. But this team (My team) is so anemic that something has to be done. I could stomach having a Reyes as my SS if it meant Tejadas days are numbered. If the deal doesn’t involve Belt, Wheeler, or MadBum I say pull the trigger.

• Ari Collins - May 4, 2011 at 1:15 AM

He is the anti 2011 Giant in that he can field shortstop and hit.

• kiwicricket - May 4, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Do you think before you scribble?

4. xmatt0926x - May 3, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Reyes does easily annoy with his monkey-like girations and his choreographed hand slapping routines which are done after even the slightest of accomplishments whether the Mets are up by 5 runs or down by 5 runs. That being said the guy can be an awesome force at bat. He’s one of those guy’s who will get on base and totally disrupt a pitcher. A walk or single ends up as an automatic double once he inevitably steals a base with his blazing speed. I’m not a giants fan at all but he’d be well worth it to get for them. Remember that Reyes has also been surrounded by other clowns and maybe once he was in a different clubhouse with new leadership he might clean up his childish antics. Maybe a San Fran vet gets in his ear and tells him that the girations and hand slapping don’t work there and maybe he cleans up his act. I say he’s that guy you hate when he’s on the other team but love when he’s on your team and I’d love to see the phillies throw an offer at him in free agency. I think Rollins’ best days are behind him. Not likely to happen but I wouldn’t mind seeing it.

5. henryd3rd - May 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Can’t believe I am commenting on the Mets! Reyes has far too much talent for the Mets to let him go on the cheap. Having said that the Mets’ financial condition make it likely that Reyes will be gone next year at any rate. Take The Money Wilpon!

Let’s Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. crkreg - May 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Jose Reyes is a loser. He’s always been a loser. And he’ll always be a loser. If I’m the Giants I don’t go near the guy

7. dcburden - May 4, 2011 at 3:33 AM

I’ll accuse the author of trolling on this one. Bumgarner for Reyes? What’s next, the Rays trade Price for Michael Young?

• Alex K - May 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Dude, It would have to start with Bumgarner. Jose Reyes is a great player. Why would the Mets trade him for a non-elite player?

8. banksatdixie - May 4, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Lets get real with the Bumgarner-Price comps. Price is in another world compared to Bumgarner

9. bennyblanco1 - May 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Bunch of Rreyes haters. He’s argubaly the 3rd best SS in the league right now. A few years away from 30 and was the catalyst of a team that from 06-08 scored more runs than almost every other team. Those skills are not fading away anytime soon.

Alserson will not trade this guy for anything but elite prospects.

• simon94022 - May 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

No disrespect to Reyes, but he’s a free agent after this season and thus only a short term rental to whoever acquires him. Unless his name is Pujols, a guy in his walk year just won’t bring an elite player or can’t miss prospect in return. The Mets will eventually have to choose between packages of B to B+ level prospects or doing nothing and taking the draft pick(s) next year.

Bumgarner established himself as a star during the second half of last season and finished it off with a dominant and cluth win on the road in Game 4 of the World Series. Belt is the best position player prospect the Giants organization has produced in almost 20 years and despite early struggles this year is considered just about big league ready. Both guys are under club control for the next 6 years. The idea that either guy will be shipped off for a rental player like Reyes does not pass the laugh test.

• bennyblanco1 - May 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I’m not saying the Giants are going to make any of the trades mentioned above.

But when a team is in a playoff race and a player like Reyes, who will most likely be one of better players traded this summer is available, big deals get done. It happens every year. If the Giants want Reyes bad enough, they will be forced to trade one of their top prospects. I’m not saying it will Belt and Bumgarner. But I wouldnt be surprised. And whose to say they cant sign him to a long term deal? Kinda like the deal Johan got when he came to the Mets.

10. dcburden - May 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Reyes ain’t Johan, and Bumgarner + Belt is way more than the steaming pile the Mets sent the Twins.

• bennyblanco1 - May 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM

You have missed the point entirely.

I’m not saying the Giants should or would trade Belt and Bumgarner. I am saying that I wouldnt be surprised if a deal was done where a solid prospect like them are traded. The Giants have a pitching staff that can win now and a player like Reyes can help.

As for bringing up Johan, I meant that the Mets had an oppurtunity to sign Johan to a long term deal. Maybe the Giants could attempt something similair if a trade was worked out.

• dcburden - May 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Sure, the Giants might sign Reyes to a new contract, but that opportunity isn’t worth Bumgarner or Belt.

Now, what the Mets might actually *get* for Reyes is just a function of the market for SS help amongst win-now buyers. Short of Jeter retiring, I’m not sure who else would be bidding – the Cardinals? Braves?

• Kevin S. - May 5, 2011 at 4:22 AM

He’d be a hell of an upgrade over Lowrie and Scutaro, and Toronto might take a gander if they though Escobar could slide over to third on the fly.

• bennyblanco1 - May 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Your right. Its all about who wants to win now and has the chance to do so willing to give up those prospects.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5302)