May 3, 2011, 9:02 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Mychael Urban reports that the Giants have held internal discussions on making a run at Jose Reyes.
The Giants are hurting in the infield with Pablo Sandoval likely out through the end of June with a broken hamate bone. They’re currently using the slumping Miguel Tejada at third base and Mike Fontenot, a natural second baseman, at shortstop.
Reyes, who is currently hitting .309/.348/.439 with 10 steals, would be an impact player at the top of the San Francisco lineup, though he wouldn’t come cheap. The Mets would likely have to be bowled over to move him so early on the season. They know they’ll still be able to get good value for the free-agent-to-be if they hold on to him until late July.
If the Giants do inquire, the Mets would probably start by asking for Madison Bumgarner or Brandon Belt in return. Belt isn’t a particularly good fit with the Mets, who already have Ike Davis at first base and Jason Bay in left, but he could be playable in right field and he has big-time value.
The Giants would be more likely to pitch a package involving either RHP Zack Wheeler or OF Gary Brown, along with a lesser prospect or two.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)