May 3, 2011, 9:02 PM EST
CSN Bay Area’s Mychael Urban reports that the Giants have held internal discussions on making a run at Jose Reyes.
The Giants are hurting in the infield with Pablo Sandoval likely out through the end of June with a broken hamate bone. They’re currently using the slumping Miguel Tejada at third base and Mike Fontenot, a natural second baseman, at shortstop.
Reyes, who is currently hitting .309/.348/.439 with 10 steals, would be an impact player at the top of the San Francisco lineup, though he wouldn’t come cheap. The Mets would likely have to be bowled over to move him so early on the season. They know they’ll still be able to get good value for the free-agent-to-be if they hold on to him until late July.
If the Giants do inquire, the Mets would probably start by asking for Madison Bumgarner or Brandon Belt in return. Belt isn’t a particularly good fit with the Mets, who already have Ike Davis at first base and Jason Bay in left, but he could be playable in right field and he has big-time value.
The Giants would be more likely to pitch a package involving either RHP Zack Wheeler or OF Gary Brown, along with a lesser prospect or two.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)