May 3, 2011, 9:02 PM EST
CSN Bay Area’s Mychael Urban reports that the Giants have held internal discussions on making a run at Jose Reyes.
The Giants are hurting in the infield with Pablo Sandoval likely out through the end of June with a broken hamate bone. They’re currently using the slumping Miguel Tejada at third base and Mike Fontenot, a natural second baseman, at shortstop.
Reyes, who is currently hitting .309/.348/.439 with 10 steals, would be an impact player at the top of the San Francisco lineup, though he wouldn’t come cheap. The Mets would likely have to be bowled over to move him so early on the season. They know they’ll still be able to get good value for the free-agent-to-be if they hold on to him until late July.
If the Giants do inquire, the Mets would probably start by asking for Madison Bumgarner or Brandon Belt in return. Belt isn’t a particularly good fit with the Mets, who already have Ike Davis at first base and Jason Bay in left, but he could be playable in right field and he has big-time value.
The Giants would be more likely to pitch a package involving either RHP Zack Wheeler or OF Gary Brown, along with a lesser prospect or two.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 14
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)