May 3, 2011, 9:02 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Mychael Urban reports that the Giants have held internal discussions on making a run at Jose Reyes.
The Giants are hurting in the infield with Pablo Sandoval likely out through the end of June with a broken hamate bone. They’re currently using the slumping Miguel Tejada at third base and Mike Fontenot, a natural second baseman, at shortstop.
Reyes, who is currently hitting .309/.348/.439 with 10 steals, would be an impact player at the top of the San Francisco lineup, though he wouldn’t come cheap. The Mets would likely have to be bowled over to move him so early on the season. They know they’ll still be able to get good value for the free-agent-to-be if they hold on to him until late July.
If the Giants do inquire, the Mets would probably start by asking for Madison Bumgarner or Brandon Belt in return. Belt isn’t a particularly good fit with the Mets, who already have Ike Davis at first base and Jason Bay in left, but he could be playable in right field and he has big-time value.
The Giants would be more likely to pitch a package involving either RHP Zack Wheeler or OF Gary Brown, along with a lesser prospect or two.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)