Shin-Soo Choo issues apology after DUI arrest

May 3, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT

Choo mugshot

Shin-Soo Choo issued a statement earlier this evening in regards to his DUI arrest early Monday morning. Jordan Bastian, who covers the Indians for MLB.com, has the full text:

“I sincerely apologize to my family, teammates, fans and the Indians organization for the attention stemming from this matter. However, I am hopeful that this incident will not be a distraction to the Indians organization while we remain focused on continuing to play winning baseball.”

“Since this is a legal matter, I look forward to it being resolved within the court system as soon as possible.”

Bastian adds via Twitter that Choo called teammates over during pregame workouts this evening and talked to them as a group. Choo is in the starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Athletics.

1. cur68 - May 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM

He seems so tired. What was he drinking, brandy and warm milk?

2. micker716 - May 3, 2011 at 9:54 PM

A deep heartfelt apology, an athlete baring his soul. You can tell this came from Shin without any prompting or help from his agent. As far as I’m concerned, this matter is resolved. We’ll let this one slide, but don’t do it again.

• halladaysbicepts - May 3, 2011 at 9:57 PM

“We’ll let this one slide”… What are you, the Spanish Inquisitor? I’m sure he appreciates that you’ll let it slide. You’re such a humanitarian. LOL!

3. halladaysbicepts - May 3, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Hopefully, the young man will not be reading some of the other threads on HBTalk and commit hara kiri. You made a mistake, son. Get back to the field tomorrow and play some ball!

• micker716 - May 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM

What’s a bicept?

• halladaysbicepts - May 3, 2011 at 11:19 PM

It’s a typo when I signed up to this site. Is that the best you can come back with for a discussion since you feel that Choo is so worthy of your redemption?

4. micker716 - May 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Yup, that’s pretty much all I’ve got ibanezforehead. I’m all about forgiveness and redemption. FREE SHIN!

5. deathmonkey41 - May 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Me so sorry. Me play outfield for you long time.

6. savocabol1 - May 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM