May 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
As if losing third baseman David Freese for 8-12 weeks with a broken hand wasn’t enough bad news for St. Louis’ infield, the Cardinals announced that second baseman Skip Scumaker will be out 2-4 more weeks with his elbow injury.
Schumaker, who has already been on the disabled list for two weeks, took a cortisone injection Friday and told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that it “felt horrible.”
General manager John Mozeliak told Hummel that despite the Cardinals’ injury depleted roster they “don’t want to rush it” with Schumaker’s recovery and have not cleared him to hit or throw yet.
Nick Punto and Daniel Descalso have split time at second base in Schumaker’s absence, but with Punto sidelined by a hamstring injury of his own and Descalso drawing the start at third base last night in place of Freese the Cardinals used Tyler Greene at second base yesterday.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)