May 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
As if losing third baseman David Freese for 8-12 weeks with a broken hand wasn’t enough bad news for St. Louis’ infield, the Cardinals announced that second baseman Skip Scumaker will be out 2-4 more weeks with his elbow injury.
Schumaker, who has already been on the disabled list for two weeks, took a cortisone injection Friday and told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that it “felt horrible.”
General manager John Mozeliak told Hummel that despite the Cardinals’ injury depleted roster they “don’t want to rush it” with Schumaker’s recovery and have not cleared him to hit or throw yet.
Nick Punto and Daniel Descalso have split time at second base in Schumaker’s absence, but with Punto sidelined by a hamstring injury of his own and Descalso drawing the start at third base last night in place of Freese the Cardinals used Tyler Greene at second base yesterday.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)