May 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
As if losing third baseman David Freese for 8-12 weeks with a broken hand wasn’t enough bad news for St. Louis’ infield, the Cardinals announced that second baseman Skip Scumaker will be out 2-4 more weeks with his elbow injury.
Schumaker, who has already been on the disabled list for two weeks, took a cortisone injection Friday and told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that it “felt horrible.”
General manager John Mozeliak told Hummel that despite the Cardinals’ injury depleted roster they “don’t want to rush it” with Schumaker’s recovery and have not cleared him to hit or throw yet.
Nick Punto and Daniel Descalso have split time at second base in Schumaker’s absence, but with Punto sidelined by a hamstring injury of his own and Descalso drawing the start at third base last night in place of Freese the Cardinals used Tyler Greene at second base yesterday.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)