May 3, 2011, 1:49 PM EDT
Back in December the Twins traded backup catcher Jose Morales to the Rockies for 21-year-old reliever Paul Bargas, who was a 13th-round pick in 2009 and pitched at low Single-A last season.
Soon after reporting to spring training Bargas was sent home to California to be examined for what the Twins called a “neurological condition” and LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the news isn’t good.
Bargas has been diagnosed with brain cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy treatments. What a sad development.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)