May 3, 2011, 1:49 PM EDT
Back in December the Twins traded backup catcher Jose Morales to the Rockies for 21-year-old reliever Paul Bargas, who was a 13th-round pick in 2009 and pitched at low Single-A last season.
Soon after reporting to spring training Bargas was sent home to California to be examined for what the Twins called a “neurological condition” and LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the news isn’t good.
Bargas has been diagnosed with brain cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy treatments. What a sad development.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (111)