May 3, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
I probably should have left this one for Aaron, but oh well…
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Joe Christensen tweeted today that Twins manager Rob Gardenhire offered strong hints that shortstop Trevor Plouffe will soon be promoted from Triple-A Rochester.
Plouffe, the Twins’ first-round pick in 2004, made his major league debut last season and looked overmatched. While he did deliver two homers in 41 at-bats, he batted just .146 and finished with a 14/0 K/BB ratio.
This season, though, Plouffe seems to have made some strides in Triple-A. The 24-year-old is hitting .282/.344/.590 with six homers in 21 games. That’s a .934 OPS for a guy who has never topped 750 in his previous minor league stops. Plouffe has actually been incredibly consistent in his mediocrity, finishing with OPSs of .736, .723, .720 and .730 between Double- and Triple-A the last four years.
He’d certainly be an asset to the Twins if he could post a .730 OPS in the majors right now. The team is getting a .449 OPS out of its second basemen and a .504 mark at shortstop. Alexi Casilla has been the starter at short, while the Twins have given defensive liabilities Michael Cuddyer and Luke Hughes time at second as Tsuyoshi Nishioka recovers from a broken leg.
When the Twins do promote Plouffe, they might as well give him a look as the everyday shortstop. He does have some experience at second, but Casilla has a lot more. Plus, if Plouffe hits, the Twins will probably want to stick with him after Nishioka returns. Ideally, Plouffe would hit enough to secure the job and send Casilla back to a utility role for the final four months of the season.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)