May 4, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Brandon Lyon had already blown three saves in seven tries entering today’s game against the Reds. After his work today, however, it would not be shocking to see him not get another chance for a long time.
The Astros led the Reds 2-0 entering the bottom of the ninth. Astros pitchers — led by Aneury Rodriguez, making his first ever major league start — had only allowed one hit all afternoon. Then Lyon came in and allowed the following:
RBI double. Ballgame.
Lyon has now allowed 20 hits in his 11 and one-third innings of work this year. He is just starting his second year of a three-year, $15 million deal. He is about to become one of baseball’s more highly paid middle relievers.
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (135)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)