May 4, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Brandon Lyon had already blown three saves in seven tries entering today’s game against the Reds. After his work today, however, it would not be shocking to see him not get another chance for a long time.
The Astros led the Reds 2-0 entering the bottom of the ninth. Astros pitchers — led by Aneury Rodriguez, making his first ever major league start — had only allowed one hit all afternoon. Then Lyon came in and allowed the following:
RBI double. Ballgame.
Lyon has now allowed 20 hits in his 11 and one-third innings of work this year. He is just starting his second year of a three-year, $15 million deal. He is about to become one of baseball’s more highly paid middle relievers.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 40
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 44
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months