May 4, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Brandon Lyon had already blown three saves in seven tries entering today’s game against the Reds. After his work today, however, it would not be shocking to see him not get another chance for a long time.
The Astros led the Reds 2-0 entering the bottom of the ninth. Astros pitchers — led by Aneury Rodriguez, making his first ever major league start — had only allowed one hit all afternoon. Then Lyon came in and allowed the following:
RBI double. Ballgame.
Lyon has now allowed 20 hits in his 11 and one-third innings of work this year. He is just starting his second year of a three-year, $15 million deal. He is about to become one of baseball’s more highly paid middle relievers.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)