May 4, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Brandon Lyon had already blown three saves in seven tries entering today’s game against the Reds. After his work today, however, it would not be shocking to see him not get another chance for a long time.
The Astros led the Reds 2-0 entering the bottom of the ninth. Astros pitchers — led by Aneury Rodriguez, making his first ever major league start — had only allowed one hit all afternoon. Then Lyon came in and allowed the following:
RBI double. Ballgame.
Lyon has now allowed 20 hits in his 11 and one-third innings of work this year. He is just starting his second year of a three-year, $15 million deal. He is about to become one of baseball’s more highly paid middle relievers.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)