And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

May 4, 2011, 6:00 AM EDT

Drew Butera, Francisco Liriano

Twins 1, White Sox 0: The no-no! Francisco Liriano came into the game with a 9+ ERA and his job on the line and he didn’t allow a hit.  It wasn’t the most dominant no hitter you’ll ever see. He walked six guys, only struck out two and threw 123 pitches, but it doesn’t really matter. Liriano had never even had a complete game before. This is the kind of thing that makes baseball beautiful. A team and a player, both of which are having a crappy year, can have one night where everything is perfect. You play every day, and every day there’s the possibility for something wonderful.

Rays 3, Blue Jays 2: And that, my friends, is B.J. Upton. Belt-high fastball with zilch movement from Jon Rauch turns into a walkoff job.

Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 3: It wasn’t a walkoff, but Justin Upton joined his brother in the game-winning homer club, his coming in the eighth. My brother and I talked on the phone with each other and complained about how we get aches and pains for seemingly no reason anymore. And can’t sleep through the night without having to wake up and pee. So it was almost the same.

Phillies 4, Nationals 1: Cole Hamels allowed only five hits. Raul Ibanez broke his 0-for-gajillion streak with a couple of doubles. Jayson Werth, in his return to Philly, was getting booed when he came to the plate, then he stopped and tipped his cap to the crowd. Then the boos quickly turned into cheers. I can’t decide if that’s beautiful or if the Phillies fans’ lack of conviction on the matter is mock-worthy.

Astros 10, Reds 4: Since their four-game losing streak ended on April 20th, the Reds have alternated wins and losses every day … until last night, when they lost their second in a row. On ESPN.com, the team schedule lists wins in green and losses in red. As Lt. Giardello used to tell the homicide unit: there’s a lot of red on that board.

Red Sox 7, Angels 3: Jon Lester vs. Dan Haren was something to look forward to. So of course I missed it because I had 18 things to do and then decided to watch the Liriano no hitter once I was able to turn my attention to TV.  Lester got the better of it, striking out 11 in seven innings, holding the Sox close in a 1-0 ballgame before they helped him out with seven runs in the sixth, seventh and eighth.

Giants 7, Mets 6: Mets jumped out to a 3-0 lead and blew it, took a 5-4 lead and blew it and then battled back to make it 6-6 and send it into extras. Then Aubrey Huff went yard in the 10th, ending a personal 0 for 20 slump.

Tigers 4, Yankees 2: Detroit snaps a seven-game losing streak. Scott Sizemore gets three hits and drives in a run in his first action since being called up from Toledo. Lots of people thrive when they leave Toledo.

Cubs 4, Dodgers 1: Going forward, unless someone hits four homers or something, Andre Ethier‘s hitting streak is what we’re going to care about most in Dodgers games. So: yes, he got a hit, so he’s at 29. More improbable than an extended hitting streak was Carlos Pena actually putting good wood on the ball, but he did that too with a homer.

Padres 6, Pirates 5: Speaking of “good wood” this one was helped along by some bad wood. Specifically, bad Brandon Wood who, after reaching second base with one out in the ninth decided to try to take third on a pitch in the dirt but was thrown out. Clint Hurdle’s opinion of the play: “You’re already in scoring position and if you’re safe, we’re all happy. But he pushed the envelope a little bit. At times you have to be smart, so when you’re out at third like that, it never looks good.”

Mariners 4, Rangers 3: The M’s have won six of seven and — get this — while still in last place in the West, are only two games back of co-leaders Anaheim and Texas.

Indians 4, Athletics 1: Key series for the Indians, as they have to prove that they can be more consistent on the road and that they can beat good pitching. So far so good, as they take this one for their seventh straight victory. Strong outing for Fausto Carmona, who gave up only the one run in eight innings of work.

Royals 6, Orioles 5: A game-winning sac fly by Jeff Francoeur in the 10th. He also had the homer that tied the game for Kansas City to send it to extras. He’s at .315/.362/.604 with 7 homers and 23 RBI on the year. But no, I am not yet preparing my hat for consumption purposes.

Cardinals 7, Marlins 5:  Daniel Descalso hit a go-ahead three-run shot in the seventh inning — his first ever homer — to give this one to St. Louis. On the less-than-bright side, Albert Pujols was 0-for-5, hit into his 10th double play of the year and stranded eight runners. Hurm. I still think he’ll bust out of it, but man, if he doesn’t, and turns in a poor year by his standards, it only makes the free agent stuff harder for the Cardinals, doesn’t it? It’s one thing to commit a boatload of cash to the best player in baseball. But do you commit a boatload to one who you’re not sure will continue to be elite?  Because it’s not like one bad year will cut his demands down to 3/$30 million or something.

Brewers vs. Braves: POSTPONED:  Don’t come around here no more, bringing me all of your bad rain. Can’t you see I’ve got troubles of my own. I ain’t got time to be messing with all of your bad rain. Why in the world can’t you just leave that stuff alone?

1. kiwicricket - May 4, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Allman Brothers = +1

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM

The Wire reference = +2

• aleskel - May 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM

that would be Homicide, not the Wire

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Ah, good catch. There’s def a line or three from The Wire that makes note of “all the red” on the board and it’s also pertaining to the homicide unit. Of course, there’s no Lt. Giardello in The Wire.

2. ahealthyscratch - May 4, 2011 at 7:51 AM

I was at the Phillies game. The boos were initially louder, but I’d estimate that about 70% of the crowd was cheering for Werth before his first at-bat.

3. yankeesfanlen - May 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Beep-beep fever is catching, now none of them can hit. Or do they need fastballs served at +50 degrees?

4. Lukehart80 - May 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Nice Giardello reference!

5. mattintoledo - May 4, 2011 at 8:29 AM

The same day I listen to you on Toledo radio, Craig, you hit me with this shot at Toledo? I’m hurt. I’m shocked and offended and, and hurt.

6. Phillies Homer - May 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM

What Phillies game were you watching? The boos lasted all about 5 seconds and then the entire crowd seemed to turn to cheers. Which spurred Werth to tip his cap to the crowd b/c of all the cheers he received.

Not too mention in the bottom of the 1st as he ran out to right field he was receiving cheers to the point he tipped his hat again to the supportive crowd.

People’s image of Phillies fans really cloud their judgment

• Craig Calcaterra - May 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM

So you would agree then that the factual assertion I made — there were boos that soon turned to cheers — was accurate? And that your comment is simply the latest case of an overly-sensitive Phillies fan all butthurt when he even perceives that someone may possibly be criticizing other Phillies fans?

• Phillies Homer - May 4, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Your “boos turned to cheers BECAUSE Werth tipped his cap” is very inaccurate.

Boos turned to cheers which caused Werth to tip his cap would have been better writing. But, what do I know… I’m just an accountant.

• halladaysbicepts - May 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM

“Then the boos quickly turned into cheers. I can’t decide if that’s beautiful or if the Phillies fans’ lack of conviction on the matter is mock-worthy.”

Lack of conviction? They initially booed him to show their displeasure in him leaving, then, when he tipped his cap, the fans acknowledged him by cheering. Classy response by the Phillies faithful, I would say.

If your contemplating whether or not to mock this is ridiculous.

This may be the stupidest comment I have ever heard in my life from a Braves fan.

• xmatt0926x - May 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Yes, as Craig said in his response to Phillies Homer “there were boos that turned to cheers” after Werth tipped his cap, but that is a far cry from the original implication that he was being outright booed by all and then cheered only after he tipped his cap. He was receiving a hardy standing ovation to go with the group that was booing. If you have to omit that to make your point than I think a Phillies fan has the right to defend themselves from yet another weak argument made with conveniently omitted facts. Jusy my 2 cents but I guess I’m just another oversensitive fan.

• Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I boo old people who drive too slow and don’t use turn signals. I also boo my pens when they run out of ink. I boo the gas station attendant when he tells me it cost $74 to fill up my truck. And I boo fellow Philly fans who can’t handle when people say we boo. I Boo the rain when I want to play outside. Everyone should express themselves this way, it’s liberating. It takes a load off your shoulders. Craig, try it. Boo something that pisses you off, even if trivial. You may never be the same again.

And may the 4th be with you.

Homer, BOOOOOOOOOO!!! you get that for getting testy over people commenting on our boooing. Just embrace it as i have, and Boooo every damn thing if it pleases you. I boooo’d my boss for calling me at home on monday even. And It made it all better instantly.

• Phillies Homer - May 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Something about this post reminds me of the “Princess Bride” when Buttercup gets booed by that haggad old lady in her dream.

Anyways… I’m fine with the portrayal that we boo. It’s when we are inaccurately portrayed as booing just so some douche can take a shot at Phillies fans is what is annoying. But, I suppose it’s something I will have to learn to get over!

• Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Don’t you have buddies that follow different teams and some may even be division rivals? Do you or don’t you engage in what some people call “friendly banter” with these friends? Think of it more on those terms. I don’t see any little digs phills fans get from anyone including Craig as anything but that. I doubt anything is said with actual resentment or anger, and if it is it would be much more angry. Plus, if all they have at this point is busting on fans, I have to sit back and smile because the team isn’t giving them any material to work with besides “winning”! Yes Charlie Sheen gets his plug once again…. Now if he could only collect a dollar for every time someone uses that???? I must now end my counseling session as my services are needed elsewhere. Please enjoy your day sir. ;) Your bill will be in the mail.

7. Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Who cares about the steenking Booing???

Cole Hamels pitched a complete game allowing 1 run, and had the audacity to hit a triple and a single. So there’s that to suck on “I want the NL to go with the DH like our teams do” crowd. And Raul shows signs of life…

Ok, I’ll talk about the booing now.

Jayson Werth after the game. “If I’m booed every time I come here for the rest of my life I’ll take it as a compliment.” Wise words indeed. He’s being booed because he was a valuable player, no Philly fan really wanted to see walk, but he did. So Booooo!!

8. Chris Fiorentino - May 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM

We Philadelphia fans cheer class.

When a drunken bumb comes out dressed as Santa and makes a mockery of it, we boo the guy, not the suit. When classless Michael Irvin gets hurt, we cheer(yeah, that probably wasn’t our finest moment, but who cares…it was MIchael Irvin).

When Jim Thome, the epitome of class, comes back to town, we cheer our asses off. When Jason Werth comes up to the plate, it is in our nature to boo…but then, when he steps out and tips his cap to us, we cheer like crazy because it’s a show of class.

When the national media gets that through their thick, biased skulls, then actually starts to write it, a snowball will have finally made its way through the other side of Hell.

• Old Gator - May 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

All these Feelies fans who worry about their image remind me of those Native American thinskins who are now kvitchering about Bin Laden having been code-named “Geronimo” for purposes of encrypted communication from the Team Six commandos.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Jesus Gator…it’s not even 10am yet and I am going to have to go get another freaking cup of coffee to try to figure out just what the hell you are talking about.

I am sure it is a mock of us Philadelphia fans, so :P in advance…and if it was not, then my apologies.

Now to get that coffee…

• Old Gator - May 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Come now Chris – when have you ever seen me mock Feelies fans? Their diet, yes – but not, for the most part, the fans (with the exception of the barfers, taser-baits and other assorted idiots who are endemic to any ballpark in the country).

While you’re assimilating all that liquid pacemaker, check the papers. Some American Indian organization or other has condemned the use of “Geronimo” as the CIA code name for Bin Laden. Really. I suspect that they would have been much happier with “Custer.”

• Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM

One thing I can’t stand for is the mocking of Cheese steaks. I Won’t stand for it, I say!!! You and your mamby pamby tofu and goat cheese on a bed of green stuff…………

How easy it is to miss that Citizens bank park has again won 1st place for ” best vegetarian sports venue in North America” So there’s that as well, in case you’re in town and want to catch a game and all…

• Utley's Hair - May 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Jonny, I think Gator compared Osama to cheesesteaks…but I’m not quite sure.

• Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 12:38 PM

No!!! He wouldn’t. That would be….. well, reprehensible!!!!! I don’t believe it.

9. Old Gator - May 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Albert Pujols is just having a Babe Ruth 1925 season. It happens. You get distracted from drinking and chasing strange by all this cultic superstition and fuzzy family feelgood stuff, or worse, you receive an award from the hands of Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck that hasn’t been properly sterilized for idiot virus, it’s debilitating. He’ll be fine once his immune system antigen receptors recover from being slimed.

Anyway, the Feesh boolpen is beginning to show the structural fatigue your tropical sage and his Ouija Scrabble spirit interlocutors have been anticipating since spring training. I was almost – almost – ready to believe that maybe they really were that good. But of that vanity, I recant and fall back to my original prediction that they’d handle the second division teams alright but have their hands full with the better teams like St. Louis, Philadelphia and the Reds. After a meltdown and near-meltdown in Cincinnati, they got stepped on pretty good by the Cards last night, and they’re reverting to the 2010 formula of issuing too many free passes. Hanley chipped in with an error, too – though to be fair, he’s been better of late.

Also note that the Feesh hit nothing but seengles last night. They had exceeded their dinger quotient the night before.

• spudchukar - May 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Yeah, watching Henley last night must have been tough. The meatball he served up to Descalso, was smothered in “hit me” Bolognese Ragu. His pitches registered somewhere between 84-88. The term “change-up”, is derived from the notion that there should be an alteration or deviation from the norm. When there is only 4 MPH difference and gutted down the middle, then Descalsos world wide become Iron Mikes. Speaking of the “Man of Steel”, , he resembled Aunt Emma’s rusty gate, as he impotently whiffed through three straight Sanchez sliders to end last night’s marathon. It wasn’t Ferris’ day off, not Ferrous Oxide anyway. I could comment further on Sanchez’s nasty stuff, but it nears the profane so I will refrain. Good series so far though, with the more deserving team having each lost once. The Feesh have been impressive hitters, particularly their collective patience, as they have laid off tantalizing 2 strike out pitches other teams have succumbed to, forcing longer counts and then getting more hittable pitches. At this point I will be happy with a split in this four game matchup. Better skewer the Feesh tonight with the Carpenter/Vasquez duel, for the Piscadero JJ toes the rubber on Thursday.

• Old Gator - May 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Yeah, the Iron Giant still has problems laying off those low and away sliders. Even when he doesn’t swing, he looks like he swung in his mind. That way oblique injury lies. I predict a great retirement for him to the senior tour but meanwhile, it’s not advisable to attempt a chip shot against a peetcher with a hook like the one on Sanchez’ sliders and curveballs. I do hope he’s not going to become a McCovey-Kingman “swing hard in case you hit it” type; he hit for average in the minors but seems to be champing at the bit every time he comes to the plate.

I guess the one good thing you could say about Henley’s performance was that he just walked out there and got it over with. Can you imagine the suspence if he had taken Descalso to 3-2 and a bunch of fouloffs? I’m an old man. My heart couldn’t have handled it.

10. talbaugh - May 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Craig, your going problem might be a growing problem. Just a thought.

11. cur68 - May 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The Blue Jays. Sigh. With The Most Interesting Batter In The World nursing a stiff neck, those guys lack punch. Tonight we see what John Farrell is made of. He needs to use the intentional walk on guys who’ve come within a pubic hair of hitting homers twice in the game. I don’t know what game he was watching but the one I saw featured this guy? Upton? But for a few millimeters of bat would have had 2 dingers by the 9th.

He’s up with a man on and I am yelling at Farrell to walk him. I know he’s hell on wheels when it comes to steals but he is murder with a bat too. Natch; they pitch too him. Natch, into left center over the wall. What good’s a manger if he can’t recognize when a better is too hot to handle? Wasted a nice performance by Jo Jo Reyes. It wasn’t great; he was lucky B.J. Upton hadn’t taken him deep twice, as I’ve said, but it was pretty good nonetheless.

Game 2 this afternoon. We’ll see what adjustments Farrell makes.

• Utley's Hair - May 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

(Luongo eats pie with his hockey stick)

• cur68 - May 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Shows how much you know. Goalies don’t use actual ‘hockey sticks’. Their weapon is known as a paddle. If a pie ever appeared in front of Bobby Lu he’s use his paddle to score it into the opposition net from his own crease. Did you see the game last night? An OT winner by the Canucks who now lead the series 2 -1. Say, I’ve lost track, how are the Flyers doing?

Don’t worry, when my boys win the Stanley Cup I shall be subtle and classy in victory. My new handle “Luongo’s Hair” will be all the crowing I shall engage in.

Did you see that the ranks of the pie eaters were swollen by 2 last night? One of them was a certain misspelled arm muscle of a Cyberdyne model 800 pitching apparatus. So that, I think, counts in the cake fanciers favor.

• Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM

We pie eaters have added more minions to our ranks while you cake eaters have remained stagnate. All Hail Pie!!!

• cur68 - May 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM

You pie eaters are delusional. And cake fanciers don’t have ‘minions’. We have members. Just like The Avengers have members. All members have super powers, because cake is magic.

• Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Pie eaters have members as well, we don’t “fancy” things unless forced to do so because a woman made us, And everybody’s “members” are supposed to do that, it’s not magic. Not that you silly cake eaters would know with all of your “superiority complex mommy caused issues”

• Utley's Hair - May 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Seisenta y ocho, piebabys have members—they just use them to do unnatural things to baked goods.

• Old Gator - May 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM

What kind of dumb American goes nose to nose with a Canadian in an argument about hockey?

12. Ryan Karhut - May 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM

The Jays look like a great disappointment…..again. It has been this way since 1993.

On the lighter side did everyone see the fan at Fenway get jacked up? hahaha

Drunk Fan Gets Jacked Up: http://t.co/c4QiHoa

13. APBA Guy - May 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM

The A’s return to .500 with a thud against Carmona, despite some great work (6.1, 1 ER) from Ross. The Indians displayed more offense, collecting double the hits of the helpless A’s. The A’s announcers dutifully noted that the A’s have the best starter ERA in the AL at 2.67, which is pretty damn good, but quickly glossed over the team offense, ranked near the bottom (thank you, Seattle). The loss went to Brian Fuentes, former full-time closer and now fill-in for Andrew Bailey. The small crowd didn’t get too worked up as he consistently missed the strike zone in the 9th. He’s been out it seems like every game, and the occasional blown save by the fill in is expected, especially in a game where your one run scores on two dinks and a ground out. Hard to get excited by that.

One disturbing facet of last night’s game was the lack of abuse directed towards Choo, MLB’s latest DUI miscreant. No doubt due in some measure to so few fans occupying seats near Choo’s RF patrol area, he still suffered too little when coming to the plate. We could have used a little Philly passion in the stands last night.

14. Utley's Hair - May 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I sense a RAUUUUUUUULLLLL resurgence in the making here. Cole mowed ‘em down—and tripled. Yes…Cole Hamels, pitcher, tripled. And Chuck wants Utley to go somewhere. Things seem to be getting better in Phightinsville.

15. macjacmccoy - May 6, 2011 at 12:25 AM

“Jayson Werth, in his return to Philly, was getting booed when he came to the plate, then he stopped and tipped his cap to the crowd. Then the boos quickly turned into cheers”

Thats not what happened. They were booing and cheering at the same when he came to the plate. The booing started to die down but the cheering didnt then Jason tipped his cap and after that all you could here was the cheering. But it wasnt an out right boo changed to a cheer by the tip of the cap. He was getting cheered the whole time, it just got clearer when the boo birds stopped booing.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3236)