May 4, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Brian Roberts has been playing through a hamstring injury, but yesterday he was scratched from the Orioles’ lineup following a root canal.
Robert Falkoff of MLB.com reports that Roberts initially felt mouth pain Sunday, but thought little of it until things got much worse during the team flight to Kansas City on Monday night.
Or as manager Buck Showalter put it: “By the time we landed, we knew he had a problem.”
Roberts is hoping to be back in the lineup tonight, but Showalter seemed unsure about such a quick return.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (159)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)