May 4, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Brian Roberts has been playing through a hamstring injury, but yesterday he was scratched from the Orioles’ lineup following a root canal.
Robert Falkoff of MLB.com reports that Roberts initially felt mouth pain Sunday, but thought little of it until things got much worse during the team flight to Kansas City on Monday night.
Or as manager Buck Showalter put it: “By the time we landed, we knew he had a problem.”
Roberts is hoping to be back in the lineup tonight, but Showalter seemed unsure about such a quick return.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)