May 4, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Brian Roberts has been playing through a hamstring injury, but yesterday he was scratched from the Orioles’ lineup following a root canal.
Robert Falkoff of MLB.com reports that Roberts initially felt mouth pain Sunday, but thought little of it until things got much worse during the team flight to Kansas City on Monday night.
Or as manager Buck Showalter put it: “By the time we landed, we knew he had a problem.”
Roberts is hoping to be back in the lineup tonight, but Showalter seemed unsure about such a quick return.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)