Derek Jeter pulled from Wednedsay’s game with sore right hip

May 4, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT

jeter grimace Getty Images

From Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger comes word that Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter was lifted from Wednesday night’s game because of a sore right hip. He is considered day-to-day.

Jeter was 1-for-4 with a strikeout before exiting. He was replaced at shortstop by Eduardo Nunez, who did not make a plate appearance.

Nunez seems likely to start at short in Thursday afternoon’s series finale against the Tigers.

The Yankees haven’t announced any plans for an MRI or other types of tests on Jeter’s hip, but it makes sense to give the 36-year-old a day or two of rest for precautionary reasons.

Jeter is batting .250 with a brutal .308 on-base percentage and .269 slugging percentage through 116 plate appearances this season. He doesn’t have a home run and boasts only two extra-base hits.

1. yankeesfanlen - May 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Maybe, just maybe, this could explain a little something. For two nights, after the top-of-the-first hit, nothing’s happened. Now’s he’s on the radio saying nothing’s wrong. Hope for Nunez tomorrow.

2. pisano - May 5, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I hate slamming Jeter, but the bat speed is gone and I think it’s time for a change. He and Posada are hurting the team, they were real good ball players but it’s coming to an end.I always said he(Jeter) should have been given a one year contract, not that the money is a factor to the Yankees, but where do you put him for the next two and a half years. This might get ugly before it’s over. I hope Nunez has a real big day tomorrow to open some eyes.

• uyf1950 - May 5, 2011 at 9:23 AM

My friend, on the bright side Posada’s contract is up at the end of the year..and if there was ever any thought of even signing him or one year after this early on that’s history. In fact I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Montero gets called up in the month or so to be the DH and part time catcher. Cervelli will either be sent back to the minors or traded as part of a package and Posada will be the back up to the back up catcher and back up to the DH in that case.

As for Jeter, don’t be surprised if little by little you see him sharing more and more time with Nunez at SS this season. I still feel more then ever that he will hang it up before his contract expires, probably after the 2012 season if not sooner. Because even if the Yankees don’t limit his time at SS in 2011 they most certainly will come the 2012 season. I think Jeter’s ego and desire to preserve his “legacy” will get the better of him and make the decision for him to retire and easy one. He’s not going to want to split significant time at SS or change positions or warm the bench and those will probably be his only options after this year. I think early retirement is the only viable option for him. That’s just my opinion.

• pisano - May 5, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Thanks for your input, I always take your spin on the Yankees as not only logical, but pretty much right on the money. Like I said I hate to talk down on these two but they’re hurting the team and it won’t be long before the booing starts.I totally agree with the Posada situation, but Jeter’s ego will be the big problem. As usual your opinion sounds good to me.

3. uyf1950 - May 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM

…maybe this is a sign from heaven. Heaven is giving Jeter a sign it’s time to think about doing something else. It would be perfect timing if that were the case. The Mets are probably going to be shopping Reyes pretty soon. Just a thought.

• God - May 5, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Trust me, dude, I got more important stuff to worry about.

• uyf1950 - May 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Probably takes a lot of planning working out all that Armageddon stuff for Dec. 21, 2012.

• bennyblanco1 - May 5, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I’m surprised a Yankee fan would want Reyes. I thought you guys didnt have any love for him…

• uyf1950 - May 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM

My friend as a Yankees fan I want the best possible player that’s available on the market for a position of need. If you have a better alternative to Reyes for the SS position that will be available in the open market either late this season or as a FA come the end of the season I’m open to suggestions. Besides being just 28 come June and with the exception of the injury year 2009 he’s a heck of an athlete and a heck of a SS and he’s use to the “Big Apple”. The most difficult thing that whoever replaces Jeter is going to have to face is dealing with the fact they are replacing a Yankee “icon” and their initial acceptance. That’s why I think it’s important how Jeter goes out. I think Reyes can handle it, I’m not sure many other SS would be able to. That’s just my opinion.

• bennyblanco1 - May 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

As a Met fan, I would hate to seem him in pinstripes. Better pinstripes than Phillie red though.

4. pisano - May 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM

uyf1950… I also see an upside to Reyes, but in recent trade talks with the Yankees teams keep asking for Nunez in the talks so there maybe a reason for him being asked for. By recent I mean as far back as when Seattle backed out of the deal for Cliff Lee . Seattle wanted Nunez among others for Lee. I hope the Yankees give him a chance to show what he has.

• uyf1950 - May 5, 2011 at 9:47 PM

My friend, if the Yankees were to get Reyes and sign him to a deal “long term” there is no need for Nunez. They both play the same position. The Yankees could always use Pena as their backup SS in that case. I like Nunez but after today’s game and the errors he made likely cost the Yankees the game I’m beginning to think……he’s expendable under the right circumstances…and a Reyes deal would be that circumstance.

• pisano - May 6, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I see your point, I was hoping for a big day for Nunez, but instead it went the other way.I’ll say one thing there has to be some changes if the Yankees are to be a playoff team.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3536)