May 4, 2011, 10:23 PM EST
Jeter was 1-for-4 with a strikeout before exiting. He was replaced at shortstop by Eduardo Nunez, who did not make a plate appearance.
Nunez seems likely to start at short in Thursday afternoon’s series finale against the Tigers.
The Yankees haven’t announced any plans for an MRI or other types of tests on Jeter’s hip, but it makes sense to give the 36-year-old a day or two of rest for precautionary reasons.
Jeter is batting .250 with a brutal .308 on-base percentage and .269 slugging percentage through 116 plate appearances this season. He doesn’t have a home run and boasts only two extra-base hits.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 93
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 30
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (259)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (103)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)