Dodgers struggling “to find an MRI tube large enough” for Jonathan Broxton

May 4, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT

jonathan-broxton-dodgers Getty Images

As a fellow fatso I can definitely sympathize with Jonathan Broxton, but this note about the closer’s elbow injury from Ken Gurnick of MLB.com is still amusing:

Mattingly said one of the immediate issues was to find an MRI tube large enough for Broxton to get his 300-pound frame into.

“I’m serious,” said Mattingly.

Broxton is listed at 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, but … well, let’s just say my driver’s license claims I’m 6-foot-2 and 235.

1. Amsterdamned - May 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM

“Of course, given their current payroll situation maybe the Dodgers are just shopping around for a bargain on the MRI.”

Low blow, Aaron, low blow.

2. skerney - May 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM

UC Davis has a large animal clinic. They do MRIs on horses. Just trying to help.

3. benyamen - May 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Yo closer’s so fat that when he sits around the dugout he really sits AROUND the dugout.

4. Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Okay, I’m always up for busting stones, but the dudes shoulders are like 36″ apart. That’s probably what the issue really is. Back to your regularly scheduled fatty bashing.

• cleverbob - May 5, 2011 at 7:50 AM

It’s not his shoulders, it’s his waist…

5. cur68 - May 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM

MRI machines vary a bit in size. The ones we use have about an interior bore around 125 cm (4 ish feet) give or take. I’ve been in one for the purposes of a blown out knee and badly damaged shoulder (its real uncomfortable knowing your friends are looking at your insides).

I’m not Broxton’s size or heft and I found it claustrophobically small because the table you lie on moves up and down to get the particular area they are imaging right in the middle. For the shoulder I nearly had my nose touching the top. Broxton will need a very big machine. That tip about the vet machine for horses could be a good one. That might actually wind up being where they’ll go.

6. kiwicricket - May 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM

A guy paid 5million a year (for his services as a professional athlete) is too fat to fit into an MRI machine? Sure, I will laugh at that.

7. inaejones - May 5, 2011 at 6:32 AM

WOW as a coupon mom I loved the Extreme Couponing series it is awesome my five cent for extreme couponing is the place called “Printapons” you will love it

• schiver - May 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Maybe the Dodgers can find a coupon for an MRI at the animal clinic from this site. That would solve all their problems!

8. samiratou - May 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Wait a minute–last time I had an MRI (a decade ago) on my knee, I didn’t get put in a big tube. They had a table with a small “tube” that fit just around my knee. Couldn’t they do the same thing for an elbow–why would they need the full tube?

Not a doctor, neither do I play on one HBT, but it seems like we have the technology for this not to be an issue.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3527)