Dodgers struggling “to find an MRI tube large enough” for Jonathan Broxton

May 4, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT

jonathan-broxton-dodgers Getty Images

As a fellow fatso I can definitely sympathize with Jonathan Broxton, but this note about the closer’s elbow injury from Ken Gurnick of MLB.com is still amusing:

Mattingly said one of the immediate issues was to find an MRI tube large enough for Broxton to get his 300-pound frame into.

“I’m serious,” said Mattingly.

Broxton is listed at 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, but … well, let’s just say my driver’s license claims I’m 6-foot-2 and 235.

1. Amsterdamned - May 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM

“Of course, given their current payroll situation maybe the Dodgers are just shopping around for a bargain on the MRI.”

Low blow, Aaron, low blow.

2. skerney - May 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM

UC Davis has a large animal clinic. They do MRIs on horses. Just trying to help.

3. benyamen - May 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Yo closer’s so fat that when he sits around the dugout he really sits AROUND the dugout.

4. Jonny 5 - May 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Okay, I’m always up for busting stones, but the dudes shoulders are like 36″ apart. That’s probably what the issue really is. Back to your regularly scheduled fatty bashing.

• cleverbob - May 5, 2011 at 7:50 AM

It’s not his shoulders, it’s his waist…

5. cur68 - May 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM

MRI machines vary a bit in size. The ones we use have about an interior bore around 125 cm (4 ish feet) give or take. I’ve been in one for the purposes of a blown out knee and badly damaged shoulder (its real uncomfortable knowing your friends are looking at your insides).

I’m not Broxton’s size or heft and I found it claustrophobically small because the table you lie on moves up and down to get the particular area they are imaging right in the middle. For the shoulder I nearly had my nose touching the top. Broxton will need a very big machine. That tip about the vet machine for horses could be a good one. That might actually wind up being where they’ll go.

6. kiwicricket - May 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM

A guy paid 5million a year (for his services as a professional athlete) is too fat to fit into an MRI machine? Sure, I will laugh at that.

7. inaejones - May 5, 2011 at 6:32 AM

WOW as a coupon mom I loved the Extreme Couponing series it is awesome my five cent for extreme couponing is the place called “Printapons” you will love it

• schiver - May 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Maybe the Dodgers can find a coupon for an MRI at the animal clinic from this site. That would solve all their problems!

8. samiratou - May 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Wait a minute–last time I had an MRI (a decade ago) on my knee, I didn’t get put in a big tube. They had a table with a small “tube” that fit just around my knee. Couldn’t they do the same thing for an elbow–why would they need the full tube?

Not a doctor, neither do I play on one HBT, but it seems like we have the technology for this not to be an issue.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win