May 4, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Just heard this one: A disc jockey, a pilot, a baseball player and a supermodel all get shot into outer space. The disc jockey says to the supermodel, “hey, come here often?” and then she says …
Oh. Wait. It’s not a joke, Here’s MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, reporting on Hensley Meulens’ wild ride:
He went on to share details about the upcoming space mission, which will take place in 2014. Meulens’ space ticket came courtesy of Space Expedition Curacao, which is in the process of acquiring a commercial spaceship. The initiative will eventually allow the public — for a very hefty price tag, of course — to purchase a ticket for a quick trip to space.
The first 100 flights, though, have been set aside for a group of so called “Founder Astronauts.” Meulens will join three Dutch celebrities — a disc jockey, an air travel pioneer and a supermodel — on flight No. 1. That announcement was made on April 12.
Since this is a a Curacao-based thing, I assume that Andruw Jones is the backup. But, since Meulens is the San Francisco Giants’ hitting coach — the same San Francisco Giants that can’t hit their way out of a paper bag these days — I’m guessing his schedule will be wide open come 2014 to make that flight.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)