May 4, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Just heard this one: A disc jockey, a pilot, a baseball player and a supermodel all get shot into outer space. The disc jockey says to the supermodel, “hey, come here often?” and then she says …
Oh. Wait. It’s not a joke, Here’s MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, reporting on Hensley Meulens’ wild ride:
He went on to share details about the upcoming space mission, which will take place in 2014. Meulens’ space ticket came courtesy of Space Expedition Curacao, which is in the process of acquiring a commercial spaceship. The initiative will eventually allow the public — for a very hefty price tag, of course — to purchase a ticket for a quick trip to space.
The first 100 flights, though, have been set aside for a group of so called “Founder Astronauts.” Meulens will join three Dutch celebrities — a disc jockey, an air travel pioneer and a supermodel — on flight No. 1. That announcement was made on April 12.
Since this is a a Curacao-based thing, I assume that Andruw Jones is the backup. But, since Meulens is the San Francisco Giants’ hitting coach — the same San Francisco Giants that can’t hit their way out of a paper bag these days — I’m guessing his schedule will be wide open come 2014 to make that flight.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)