May 4, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
A Baseball Reference search brings up 171 no-hitters of exactly nine innings since 1919. Liriano’s 1-0 shutout of the White Sox on Tuesday night doesn’t match up with most of them.
- Liriano tied Lefty Chambers for the lowest game score of the 171 outings. Since there are no hits and usually no runs associated with a no-hitter, the base game score for a nine-inning no-no is 87. After that, just add the strikeouts and subtract the walks. Nolan Ryan (16 K, 2 BB) and Sandy Koufax (14 K, 0 BB) had the highest game scores in nine-inning no-hitters at 101. Liriano (2 K, 6 BB) and Chambers (4 K, 8 BB) came in at 83.
- Liriano is the only pitcher in the whole 171 to get three double-play balls in his no-hitter. Jose Jimenez in 1999 was the last two get two double plays.
- His two strikeouts were the fewest in a no-hitter since Jerry Reuss fanned two on June 27, 1980. In fact, one had to go all of the way back to Dwight Gooden’s no-hitter in 1996 to find someone with as few as five strikeouts.
- Because of the walks and double plays, White Sox hitters were a mere 0-for-24 against Liriano. The last no-hitter with just 24 official at-bats was Joe Cowley’s for the White Sox against the Angels on Sept. 19, 1986.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car