May 4, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
A Baseball Reference search brings up 171 no-hitters of exactly nine innings since 1919. Liriano’s 1-0 shutout of the White Sox on Tuesday night doesn’t match up with most of them.
- Liriano tied Lefty Chambers for the lowest game score of the 171 outings. Since there are no hits and usually no runs associated with a no-hitter, the base game score for a nine-inning no-no is 87. After that, just add the strikeouts and subtract the walks. Nolan Ryan (16 K, 2 BB) and Sandy Koufax (14 K, 0 BB) had the highest game scores in nine-inning no-hitters at 101. Liriano (2 K, 6 BB) and Chambers (4 K, 8 BB) came in at 83.
- Liriano is the only pitcher in the whole 171 to get three double-play balls in his no-hitter. Jose Jimenez in 1999 was the last two get two double plays.
- His two strikeouts were the fewest in a no-hitter since Jerry Reuss fanned two on June 27, 1980. In fact, one had to go all of the way back to Dwight Gooden’s no-hitter in 1996 to find someone with as few as five strikeouts.
- Because of the walks and double plays, White Sox hitters were a mere 0-for-24 against Liriano. The last no-hitter with just 24 official at-bats was Joe Cowley’s for the White Sox against the Angels on Sept. 19, 1986.
- The beauty of belief 1
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)