May 4, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
A Baseball Reference search brings up 171 no-hitters of exactly nine innings since 1919. Liriano’s 1-0 shutout of the White Sox on Tuesday night doesn’t match up with most of them.
- Liriano tied Lefty Chambers for the lowest game score of the 171 outings. Since there are no hits and usually no runs associated with a no-hitter, the base game score for a nine-inning no-no is 87. After that, just add the strikeouts and subtract the walks. Nolan Ryan (16 K, 2 BB) and Sandy Koufax (14 K, 0 BB) had the highest game scores in nine-inning no-hitters at 101. Liriano (2 K, 6 BB) and Chambers (4 K, 8 BB) came in at 83.
- Liriano is the only pitcher in the whole 171 to get three double-play balls in his no-hitter. Jose Jimenez in 1999 was the last two get two double plays.
- His two strikeouts were the fewest in a no-hitter since Jerry Reuss fanned two on June 27, 1980. In fact, one had to go all of the way back to Dwight Gooden’s no-hitter in 1996 to find someone with as few as five strikeouts.
- Because of the walks and double plays, White Sox hitters were a mere 0-for-24 against Liriano. The last no-hitter with just 24 official at-bats was Joe Cowley’s for the White Sox against the Angels on Sept. 19, 1986.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 3
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)