How Yogi Berra saved Jerry Springer

May 4, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT

New York Yankees Hall of Fame catcher Berra watches players during a workout at the team's spring training camp

Well, a Yogi Berra jersey anyway. Whatever. This is just weird:

Jerry Springer’s mom used to dress him up as an English schoolboy, complete with the shorts. And there as a good reason for that: the family had just emigrated from England and they figured that’s what everyone did in New York in 1950. Unfortunately they didn’t, and Springer got beat up at school a lot. To make life better, Springer’s mom bought him a replica Yankees uniform with Yogi Berra’s number 8 on the back.  The beatings stopped.

Just imagine, if Springer’s mom hadn’t bought that uniform his entire life may have turned out differently. And of course, his entire career may have turned out differently.  And if that happened, a close friend of my brother’s never would have appeared on national television on a Springer episode called “my man doesn’t know I’m a prostitute!”

And you think I’m kidding.

1. halladaysbicepts - May 4, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Just imagine, Craig, if Mrs. Springer decided to dress him up a Braves uniform. The beatings might have continued to this day.

• paperlions - May 4, 2011 at 3:11 PM

….or he might have hit the gym and impressed them with his massive bicepTs

• halladaysbiceps - May 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Here, genius. I changed my login because I’m sick of the posters like you that want to bust my stones because of the incorrect spelling of the word. I guess you never made a spelling mistake on a word that you do not use often. Now, try to debate me on any baseball subject, spelling master.

By the way, what does paperlions mean, anyway? I can only assume that the team you follow must be good on paper, but sucks in reality. Am I right?

• bleedgreen - May 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM

The P is for Phillies.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM

How the hell did you get nine thumbs ups on this? Whether or not you can spell is not important. You just need new writers, that’s all.

• halladaysbiceps - May 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM

El Bravo, new writers…what do you mean? Not sure I understand. New writers, is this directed towards HBT?

I’m not a writer, I’m a commenter, just like you.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Pie > Cake

• halladaysbiceps - May 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Cake>pie, just like Phillies>Braves.

• Alex K - May 4, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Ice Cream>Cake>Pie

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM

You see? That’s what I mean by new writers! As in, new comedy writers to write your weak-ass jokes! You take my comment and change the words, which is weak sauce with extra bland on the side. Granted, you posted two minutes after I did, but in 120 seconds you should still come up with better. I’m just sayin’ brah…bring the real ruckus or pack your bags.

• halladaysbiceps - May 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

El Bravo, talk baseball or be done. I really don’t care either way. Kiss more ass to the blogger of this site.

PS. If you are a real Braves fan, pick a login that makes more sense, like Mr. Larry “Chipper” Jones. Last time I checked, Heyward is still a prospect that had not proven his worth yet. Let him have at least 3-4 years of uphill climb as a player before you give him props like you do.

• Alex K - May 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM

You wanna talk baseball? Heyward wou be the best outfielder on the Phillies by a mile.

I’m a Cubs fan and I freely admit it would be the same with my team of choice.

• heyblueyoustink - May 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Alex K….welcome to the Ice Cream Alliance

• Alex K - May 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Thanks, Blue. I hope to move quickly through the ranks of the ICA.

• raysfan1 - May 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Pity. I thought the first post you did was funny. Should’ve ignored the responses.

• trevorb06 - May 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM

We have maybe found a bigger nozzle than Fiorentino.

2. yankeesfanlen - May 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Another episode from Craig’s “HBT Bizarro Baseball Theater”.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Craig, I’m a bit unclear on this. Was your brother’s friend the prostitute or the unsuspecting man?

• Craig Calcaterra - May 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM

The woman. And it’s more accurate to say “former friend.” He knew her about five years before, lost touch and then was alerted to her presence on Springer.

I think the show aired in 2002 or 2003.

4. hermitfool - May 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Doesn’t post make you wonder how many other schlock TV hosts, like maybe Oprah? owe their very lives to Yogi Berra?

5. Old Gator - May 4, 2011 at 5:53 PM

What is all this kvetching and bickering? This is a Yogi Berra story. Smile, for Buddha’s sake. If you want to snipe at each other, go over to the Luke Scott thread.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5584)