May 4, 2011, 2:44 PM EST
Casey Blake is on the disabled list with an infected elbow, Jonathan Broxton was shut down with elbow pain earlier this afternoon, and now Andre Ethier has been scratched from today’s lineup with elbow inflammation.
Ethier played through the injury yesterday, going 1-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 29 games, and was initially in the lineup today.
Don Mattingly indicated that he may still be available off the bench as a pinch-hitter, but it’ll be interesting to see if he’s truly willing to put the hitting streak to risk in a situation where Ethier would likely get just one at-bat.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)