May 4, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Casey Blake is on the disabled list with an infected elbow, Jonathan Broxton was shut down with elbow pain earlier this afternoon, and now Andre Ethier has been scratched from today’s lineup with elbow inflammation.
Ethier played through the injury yesterday, going 1-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 29 games, and was initially in the lineup today.
Don Mattingly indicated that he may still be available off the bench as a pinch-hitter, but it’ll be interesting to see if he’s truly willing to put the hitting streak to risk in a situation where Ethier would likely get just one at-bat.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)