May 4, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Casey Blake is on the disabled list with an infected elbow, Jonathan Broxton was shut down with elbow pain earlier this afternoon, and now Andre Ethier has been scratched from today’s lineup with elbow inflammation.
Ethier played through the injury yesterday, going 1-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 29 games, and was initially in the lineup today.
Don Mattingly indicated that he may still be available off the bench as a pinch-hitter, but it’ll be interesting to see if he’s truly willing to put the hitting streak to risk in a situation where Ethier would likely get just one at-bat.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)