May 4, 2011, 8:21 PM EST
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen. By Wednesday afternoon, he was already back to working out.
According to Ben Goessling of MASN, the 26-year-old was able to walk a mile on treadmill Wednesday at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. The mile took 30 minutes to complete, but the workout represents a sure sign that Zimmerman’s surgery went well and that he is on track for a projected mid-June return to the major leagues.
“I’ve learned you never cancel out either being early or being late,” Zimmerman told MASN. “The human body’s a weird thing – longer, shorter, you never know. But the doctors said everything looked good and hopefully we’ll be right at that mark.”
Zimmerman was batting .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI over his first 37 plate appearances before suffering an abdominal strain in an early-April game against the Mets.
HardballTalk’s own Matthew Pouliot took a look last week at how Zimmerman’s absence will affect the Nationals both offensively and defensively. The conclusion? It’s not pretty.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)