May 4, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen. By Wednesday afternoon, he was already back to working out.
According to Ben Goessling of MASN, the 26-year-old was able to walk a mile on treadmill Wednesday at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. The mile took 30 minutes to complete, but the workout represents a sure sign that Zimmerman’s surgery went well and that he is on track for a projected mid-June return to the major leagues.
“I’ve learned you never cancel out either being early or being late,” Zimmerman told MASN. “The human body’s a weird thing – longer, shorter, you never know. But the doctors said everything looked good and hopefully we’ll be right at that mark.”
Zimmerman was batting .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI over his first 37 plate appearances before suffering an abdominal strain in an early-April game against the Mets.
HardballTalk’s own Matthew Pouliot took a look last week at how Zimmerman’s absence will affect the Nationals both offensively and defensively. The conclusion? It’s not pretty.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 32
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)