May 4, 2011, 8:21 PM EST
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen. By Wednesday afternoon, he was already back to working out.
According to Ben Goessling of MASN, the 26-year-old was able to walk a mile on treadmill Wednesday at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. The mile took 30 minutes to complete, but the workout represents a sure sign that Zimmerman’s surgery went well and that he is on track for a projected mid-June return to the major leagues.
“I’ve learned you never cancel out either being early or being late,” Zimmerman told MASN. “The human body’s a weird thing – longer, shorter, you never know. But the doctors said everything looked good and hopefully we’ll be right at that mark.”
Zimmerman was batting .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI over his first 37 plate appearances before suffering an abdominal strain in an early-April game against the Mets.
HardballTalk’s own Matthew Pouliot took a look last week at how Zimmerman’s absence will affect the Nationals both offensively and defensively. The conclusion? It’s not pretty.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)