May 4, 2011, 11:42 AM EDT
Victor Martinez is back from the disabled list after missing the past 13 games with a groin injury.
Martinez went 3-for-6 with a double in a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A and is expected to resume batting fifth in the Tigers’ order.
Prior to the injury he hit just .250 with a .709 OPS in 16 games, but with Magglio Ordonez struggling the Tigers really need Martinez to be his usual .300-hitting self in the middle of the lineup.
Omir Santos was optioned to Triple-A to clear a roster spot for Martinez.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)