May 4, 2011, 11:42 AM EDT
Victor Martinez is back from the disabled list after missing the past 13 games with a groin injury.
Martinez went 3-for-6 with a double in a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A and is expected to resume batting fifth in the Tigers’ order.
Prior to the injury he hit just .250 with a .709 OPS in 16 games, but with Magglio Ordonez struggling the Tigers really need Martinez to be his usual .300-hitting self in the middle of the lineup.
Omir Santos was optioned to Triple-A to clear a roster spot for Martinez.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)