May 4, 2011, 11:42 AM EST
Victor Martinez is back from the disabled list after missing the past 13 games with a groin injury.
Martinez went 3-for-6 with a double in a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A and is expected to resume batting fifth in the Tigers’ order.
Prior to the injury he hit just .250 with a .709 OPS in 16 games, but with Magglio Ordonez struggling the Tigers really need Martinez to be his usual .300-hitting self in the middle of the lineup.
Omir Santos was optioned to Triple-A to clear a roster spot for Martinez.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (312)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)