May 4, 2011, 11:42 AM EDT
Victor Martinez is back from the disabled list after missing the past 13 games with a groin injury.
Martinez went 3-for-6 with a double in a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A and is expected to resume batting fifth in the Tigers’ order.
Prior to the injury he hit just .250 with a .709 OPS in 16 games, but with Magglio Ordonez struggling the Tigers really need Martinez to be his usual .300-hitting self in the middle of the lineup.
Omir Santos was optioned to Triple-A to clear a roster spot for Martinez.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 80
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)