May 4, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Jim Thome has been placed on the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and backup outfielder Jason Repko joins him on the shelf with a sore quadriceps. To replace them on the roster the Twins called up infielder Trevor Plouffe and outfielder Ben Revere from Triple-A.
Plouffe is a lesser prospect than Revere, but his short-term role may prove more substantial because the Twins are finally running out of patience with enigmatic infielder Alexi Casilla, who for now has been moved to second base after struggling mightily as the starting shortstop.
Thome going to the DL takes a big bat out of an already struggling lineup, but he’s been limited by the oblique soreness since last week and there’s no sense in risking further injury with a 40-year-old DH.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)