Be sure to forget to watch Jack Morris and John Smoltz talking Game Seven on MLB Network this Sunday

May 5, 2011, 11:30 AM EST

Lonnie Smith

I sure know that I’ll forget to watch it!

MLB Network’s MLB’s 20 Greatest Games continues on Sunday, May 8 at 7:00 p.m. ET when Jack Morris and John Smoltz join series hosts Bob Costas and Tom Verducci to discuss Game Seven of the 1991 World Series between the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota Twins, which is ranked second in the series. In a showdown featuring two teams that finished last in their divisions the previous year, Morris and Smoltz discuss the intensity of this series, the crucial missed opportunities by both teams to break a scoreless tie, and the famous pitchers’ duel that developed over ten innings.

A preview is here.

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but for complicated reasons involving a trip home from college to visit my girlfriend that weekend and a big hassle parking my car out at the remote undergraduate lot when I got back to town that weekend, I didn’t actually see this game. I listened to much of it on the radio though, including the ending. And it was heart-wrenching enough with no pictures. I subsequently saw a replay of it, and that was hard enough. To think that I’m going to sit through an extended autopsy of it, even 20 years later, is crazy.

But if you’re not a sick and damaged Braves fan like me, you probably do want to watch it. Given that it, you know, was an awesome game from an objective perspective. And it has, like, a ton of  historical significance.

Grr.

1. aleskel - May 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM

someone remind me, was Lonnie Smith the guy who got deked by Knoblauch at 2nd base?

• senatorsguy - May 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Best. Game. Ever.

Will watch it again.

After game 6 and Kirby’s walk-off homer, I turned to my wife (we were at the game) and said “In a way, this is really sad. We just saw the best game of our lives. Thats it. From here on its only leftovers”. I was off by a day.

• kander013 - May 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Yes, along with Greg Gagne.

2. minnesconsin - May 5, 2011 at 1:01 PM

you take the bad w/ the good though, right craig? the last iteration of the 20 greatest games series I caught was the braves/pirates nlcs game with the sid bream slide. talk about mountain-tops and valleys in the life of a braves fan.

side note on that episode: the guests were andy van slyke, sid bream, and mark lemke. Lemke just sat there most of the show looking like an aged combination of a new jersey mob underling and Flea from the red hot chili peppers. van slyke and bream did most of the talking, and it’s pretty striking how affected van slyke still is to this day.

3. BC - May 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Craig, I empathize. I feel the same way about the 1988 NLCS game where Scioscia hit a home run that carried the Dodgers to a win and a comeback in the series. That and the Giants-49ers playoff game when the Giants blew (I think) a 21 point lead and then botched a field goal at the end. If I owned the TVs I was watching those games on, I would’ve punched a hole in them.

4. 18thstreet - May 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I don’t care for pitchers’ duels. I like 5-4 games better.

This was a great game, but because of the score, it could never be in my top ten. (I’m agnostic about the outcome.)

5. madocyankfan - May 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I understand. I’m a huge Trojan fan and cannot watch anything that discusses or shows the loss to Tex in the Rosebowl.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5097)