Bill Hall rips umpire after being tossed from last night’s game

May 5, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT

bill-hall-astros-spring Getty Images

Bill Hall was ejected from last night’s game in the seventh inning for arguing balls and strikes and today the Astros infielder had plenty to say about home plate umpire Tom Hallion.

Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle has the full transcript of Hall’s angry rant about Hallion yelling at him to get back into the batter’s box and ultimately tossing him, but here’s an excerpt:

I didn’t really say anything to him, and once I got out of the box, he was yelling at me, cussing me out, telling me to get the [expletive] in the box. …After I swung and missed at the third one, I cussed myself out. I didn’t look towards him. I said “dammit” going back to the dugout, and he threw me out of the game. It was just ridiculous. The whole situation was ridiculous.

It’s amazing how umpires can get away with so much stuff and nothing happens to them. It’s all about them trying to get something on ESPN punching someone out or getting their spot on ESPN. I have no idea. It’s getting ridiculous. It’s gotten worse over the last few years, and hopefully somehow some way it can be calmed down a little bit because it’s a little out of hand.

I’m sure Hall was far from a totally innocent bystander for whatever took place leading up to his ejection, but it’s certainly tough to argue with his larger point about umpires needing to be reigned in significantly. Regardless of whether their actual calls are right or wrong, escalating situations with confrontational behavior is something that has no real value whatsoever.

Or as Hall put it: “They just need to calm down.”

1. rollinghighwayblues - May 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM

After watching the video, it’s crazy how confrontational Hallion was right off the bat(pun) I understand tossing him, so be it, but as soon as Hall turned around after being ejected, Hallion started barking and got right in his face. What an asshat. I’m tired of seeing these rogue bastards act like such fools. I guess the days of the umpire not being seen or heard are over.

2. rapmusicmademedoit - May 5, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Charlie Manuel got thrown out of the game while running out to the third base ump to argue a call against the Mets, he didn’t even get to say anything at all and I hate the Phillies but that ain’t cool.

get drunk it’s cinco de mayo baby!!

3. tjwilliams - May 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I’m sure Hall said something more, but what is most telling to me is that the ump actually chased him down. Hall was walking away and had his back to Hallion but Hallion just couldn’t let him go. He had to be the big man.

• tjwilliams - May 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Though, in Hallion’s defense, PitchFX liked the calls.

• paperlions - May 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM

That’s nice, but Hall didn’t say there was a bad call.
        Hall said that Hallion cussed at him to get in the box and then ran him after he struck out even though he didn’t engage Hallion in discourse.

4. jimbo1949 - May 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM

We know who the opposing pitchers are because they’re advertised in advance. Nowhere are the umpires mentioned, even in passing.

SUNDAY! AT THE STADIUM! BE THERE TO SEE COUNTRY JOE AND HIS FISH RIDE HERD OVER THE YANKS & THE SOX! WATCH JOE & ANGEL TOSSING OUT ANYONE AND EVERYONE! WILL THERE BE ANYBODY LEFT TO FINISH THE GAME?

DON’T MISS JOEGASM 136!

SUNDAY!

SUNDAY!

SUNDAY!

• Utley's Hair - May 5, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Sorry, Jimbo, but I had to give you a thumbs down, man. Joegasm136? That made me vomit in my mouth a little.

• cur68 - May 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM

…and I gave you a thumbs up just to even the score at 4 apiece. “COUNTRY JOE AND HIS FISH” made me laugh.

5. Senor Cardgage - May 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Reined in. The metaphor is to horses.

6. steve7921 - May 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I agree with Bill Hall that baseball needs to do something about the umpires. Tom Hallion chased him down to eject him which is not right at all! Hallion, Davidson and West should all be fired – i know a majority of the fans have no respect for these umpires and if the fans don’t how can the players or managers? If there is no respect than every call becomes scrutinized which leads to confrontations, ejections etc. Not what MLB wants from their umpires!

7. BC - May 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Said it many times…. Can all of the umpire and the union, and hire non-union umpires who are directly accountable to MLB and not a union. I’m not completely anti-union, but the Umpire’s Union seems to exist only to protect poor performers and cover up any discipline or mistakes these guys make. Time for them all to go. Get some folks in there who care about their job more than being a total a$$.

Final take away from World Series