May 5, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle has the full transcript of Hall’s angry rant about Hallion yelling at him to get back into the batter’s box and ultimately tossing him, but here’s an excerpt:
I didn’t really say anything to him, and once I got out of the box, he was yelling at me, cussing me out, telling me to get the [expletive] in the box. …After I swung and missed at the third one, I cussed myself out. I didn’t look towards him. I said “dammit” going back to the dugout, and he threw me out of the game. It was just ridiculous. The whole situation was ridiculous.
It’s amazing how umpires can get away with so much stuff and nothing happens to them. It’s all about them trying to get something on ESPN punching someone out or getting their spot on ESPN. I have no idea. It’s getting ridiculous. It’s gotten worse over the last few years, and hopefully somehow some way it can be calmed down a little bit because it’s a little out of hand.
I’m sure Hall was far from a totally innocent bystander for whatever took place leading up to his ejection, but it’s certainly tough to argue with his larger point about umpires needing to be reigned in significantly. Regardless of whether their actual calls are right or wrong, escalating situations with confrontational behavior is something that has no real value whatsoever.
Or as Hall put it: “They just need to calm down.”
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 28
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 59
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 113
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (113)