May 5, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle has the full transcript of Hall’s angry rant about Hallion yelling at him to get back into the batter’s box and ultimately tossing him, but here’s an excerpt:
I didn’t really say anything to him, and once I got out of the box, he was yelling at me, cussing me out, telling me to get the [expletive] in the box. …After I swung and missed at the third one, I cussed myself out. I didn’t look towards him. I said “dammit” going back to the dugout, and he threw me out of the game. It was just ridiculous. The whole situation was ridiculous.
It’s amazing how umpires can get away with so much stuff and nothing happens to them. It’s all about them trying to get something on ESPN punching someone out or getting their spot on ESPN. I have no idea. It’s getting ridiculous. It’s gotten worse over the last few years, and hopefully somehow some way it can be calmed down a little bit because it’s a little out of hand.
I’m sure Hall was far from a totally innocent bystander for whatever took place leading up to his ejection, but it’s certainly tough to argue with his larger point about umpires needing to be reigned in significantly. Regardless of whether their actual calls are right or wrong, escalating situations with confrontational behavior is something that has no real value whatsoever.
Or as Hall put it: “They just need to calm down.”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 56
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)