May 5, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Lyon has been diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff and biceps tendinitis, according to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com.
No surgery has been scheduled for now, but Lyon is bound for the disabled list and won’t be pitching again any time soon.
Mark Melancon is expected to get first crack at the closer gig and Wilton Lopez will be another option for ninth-inning duties if he proves healthy after returning from the disabled list earlier this week.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)