May 5, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Lyon has been diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff and biceps tendinitis, according to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com.
No surgery has been scheduled for now, but Lyon is bound for the disabled list and won’t be pitching again any time soon.
Mark Melancon is expected to get first crack at the closer gig and Wilton Lopez will be another option for ninth-inning duties if he proves healthy after returning from the disabled list earlier this week.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)