May 5, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Lyon has been diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff and biceps tendinitis, according to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com.
No surgery has been scheduled for now, but Lyon is bound for the disabled list and won’t be pitching again any time soon.
Mark Melancon is expected to get first crack at the closer gig and Wilton Lopez will be another option for ninth-inning duties if he proves healthy after returning from the disabled list earlier this week.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)