May 5, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Lyon has been diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff and biceps tendinitis, according to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com.
No surgery has been scheduled for now, but Lyon is bound for the disabled list and won’t be pitching again any time soon.
Mark Melancon is expected to get first crack at the closer gig and Wilton Lopez will be another option for ninth-inning duties if he proves healthy after returning from the disabled list earlier this week.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)