May 5, 2011, 8:18 PM EDT
According to Salisbury’s sources, Utley has been deemed “ready to intensify his workouts” and will head to the Phillies’ spring training complex in Clearwater, Florida on Friday to begin playing in extended spring training games.
Once the Phillies have seen enough from Utley in the exhibition tilts, they will have him meet up with the organization’s Florida State League affiliate for true live action games. Then he’ll move on through the Phils’ minor league system before eventually meeting up with the big league club.
If all goes according to plan, Utley should be back in the majors by the end of this month.
The All-Star second baseman has been sidelined since spring training with patellar tendinitis.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)