May 5, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
According to Salisbury’s sources, Utley has been deemed “ready to intensify his workouts” and will head to the Phillies’ spring training complex in Clearwater, Florida on Friday to begin playing in extended spring training games.
Once the Phillies have seen enough from Utley in the exhibition tilts, they will have him meet up with the organization’s Florida State League affiliate for true live action games. Then he’ll move on through the Phils’ minor league system before eventually meeting up with the big league club.
If all goes according to plan, Utley should be back in the majors by the end of this month.
The All-Star second baseman has been sidelined since spring training with patellar tendinitis.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)